Turtle deck cubby ideas

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I’m jumping on the TD for the second time. Round two because I wasn’t happy with the 1st one.

Any cool ideas for a door or a storage idea for simple light weight goods?

I can recut the main bulkhead and make it solid, or use the plans one and add to it somehow. Here is what Paul did. If you zoom in it looks like a simple cubby? This is hanging in the EAA museum which I drove to yesterday and took this photo.Not a clear photo unfortunately.

B9FE01B1-0873-430E-ADE5-23936E44059E.jpeg

This is my plans built front bulkhead. Again, I could make it solid and cut out a square.

Or

I could build a pad that flops down on a simple hinge?

Not sure. Looking for ideas so I can decide, make it and glue this all up.

Attachments

• A7C77CDA-B48D-416E-A2DD-FF60E75A4277.jpeg
    A7C77CDA-B48D-416E-A2DD-FF60E75A4277.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Why not maximize access with just a hollow frame (like what you've done already but with or without a bottom section to leave a rounded triangular hole) with a removable canvas or leather cover that attaches with twist-lock studs and grommets?

Last edited:

TFF

My Starduster has a small headrest storage. Literally wallet and phone and a sandwich. Not that large. I would make one as wide as I could open between the cabin struts on the back bulkhead. Not that you could ever throw 50 lbs back there, but at least enough room for some stuff like a small backpack or a coat. Maybe hinge the seat back, mid back.

Tiger Tim

The C-model Tiger Moth has turtle deck storage like you’re considering, and quite a bit of it. The front bulkhead looks a lot like what you’ve got and has a large fold-down door on a piano hinge. The floor of the storage area is an aluminum tray that’s depressed a couple inches lower than the upper longeron, and the rest of the walls are I think about 1/8” plywood. To be fair, the turtle deck itself is a plywood monocoque so very little weight is added in the cubby installation. I can get some pictures if you like but it’ll probably be mid-March before I do. Maybe someone else can beat me to it.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I think the bulkhead you have with just a pad on the front (hinged or twistlocks would work) would be fine. It should all be able to take the loads of whatever is in there in case of a sudden stop.

Given the shape and location, consider a sliding tray with a back panel to go all the way to the back of your cubby so you can just slide your treasures out rather than have to snake your arm back there to retrieve the likely errant water bottle, sandwich, keys, etc. Nothing fancy or heavy (no bearings, drawer slides, etc), it could just be a frame with a fabric bottom or a thin fiberglass/epoxy tray formed directly on your longerons (with release film, obviously). Sliders made of polyethylene, etc on the high spots of the longerons, under the tray.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Very, cool, Mike, and far more elaborate that what I would have imagined on my own. And since I already posted this on Facebook....

Cool, Mike, looking forward to seeing how you do this so I can steal the idea. Here’s a suggestion...get something like this to keep in there. When people ask why, you can say, “Because it’s a turtle deck.”

1642966574477.jpeg

Very, cool, Mike, and far more elaborate that what I would have imagined on my own. And since I already posted this on Facebook....

Cool, Mike, looking forward to seeing how you do this so I can steal the idea. Here’s a suggestion...get something like this to keep in there. When people ask why, you can say, “Because it’s a turtle deck.”

View attachment 120973

That’s actually a good idea!

Chris.r.Ingram

1644713051270.jpeg
just mount one of these types of canisters in there. Mount the lid to the plywood on the headrest and a bit of piano hinge so the ply will fold down and take the lid with it. They cost next to nothing and I guarantee you’ve got about thirteen lids in your kitchen, like the rest of us, with no bowls that can be used as spares.

View attachment 122094
just mount one of these types of canisters in there. Mount the lid to the plywood on the headrest and a bit of piano hinge so the ply will fold down and take the lid with it. They cost next to nothing and I guarantee you’ve got about thirteen lids in your kitchen, like the rest of us, with no bowls that can be used as spares.

Thanks. I already am building a plug for a fiberglass mold and and it seems to be headed in a good direction so far.