Turboprop for ultralights

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Wonder if I could call my Hawk "Little Draco" with one of those on it. Endurance would only be an hour with reserve at that fuel consumption. 10 gal tanks on UL's. I must admit that I first thought of a Dragonfly with one installed, tho fuel storage would still be problematic. 4-5 hr range is 300 lbs of diesel.

Derswede

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dream, Dream, Dream, All I do is Dream, Dream, Dream.

Aerowerx

Wonder if I could call my Hawk "Little Draco" with one of those on it. Endurance would only be an hour with reserve at that fuel consumption. 10 gal tanks on UL's. I must admit that I first thought of a Dragonfly with one installed, tho fuel storage would still be problematic. 4-5 hr range is 300 lbs of diesel.

Derswede
Part 103??? Did they change it recently? Used to be 5 gallon tanks.

I looked up the specs for the 100 HP version. It weighs about 61 lb and consumes about 59 pounds an hour. That would be 8.3 gallons an hour, at 7.15 pounds per gallon, or only 36 minutes of time. (Check my numbers, please).

Why would you want 100HP on a Part 103 ultralight?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would 5 gallons of propane or other gaseous fuel do? 5 gallons is 5 gallons after all
Poorly, the energy content of propane is a lot less than diesel or jet fuel (kerosene)

Part 103??? Did they change it recently? Used to be 5 gallon tanks.

I looked up the specs for the 100 HP version. It weighs about 61 lb and consumes about 59 pounds an hour. That would be 8.3 gallons an hour, at 7.15 pounds per gallon, or only 36 minutes of time. (Check my numbers, please).

Why would you want 100HP on a Part 103 ultralight?
Elsewhere on their website they say 9.9gph. That sounds suspiciously low for a turbine, but they don't say at what power output.

With 100HP it'd be really hard to build a 103 legal ultralight (too fast). But maybe a helicopter...

Ultralights are indeed limited to 5 gallons. 10 gallons was allowed under the now historical training exemption.

Hephaestus

Jetcat has that 15kw turboprop... 20hp, 10lbs, 550ml/min at full throttle...

Pretty sure I saw it used on an old weight shift 103 and as a sustainer for a glider somewhere...

D Hillberg

Poorly, the energy content of propane is a lot less than diesel or jet fuel (kerosene)

Elsewhere on their website they say 9.9gph. That sounds suspiciously low for a turbine, but they don't say at what power output.

With 100HP it'd be really hard to build a 103 legal ultralight (too fast). But maybe a helicopter...

Ultralights are indeed limited to 5 gallons. 10 gallons was allowed under the now historical training exemption.
Airresearch 36-55-c @ 150 hp is 9.9 gph

Solar T62 -T32 is13 gph same power output (heavier too)

Bet a large RC hobby gas turbine will do.......

Hephaestus

Airresearch 36-55-c @ 150 hp is 9.9 gph

Solar T62 -T32 is13 gph same power output (heavier too)

Bet a large RC hobby gas turbine will do.......
Its the tbo that gets you on the RC as well... The Czech (PBS) is only 1000-1500hrs depending which press release you read.

Derswede

AeroWerx, my mistake. The Hawk I have (a high BMI bird) has twin 5 gal tanks installed, thanks, Dana! You are correct, 5 gal is the legal max. As for WHY? Well, who complains having too much horsepower? Also, it would probably climb faster than our old Pitts or the Clipwing. Anyone for a "ski-jump" takeoff system? At full power, the Hawk would also probably suddenly develop swept wings:fear:. Control could be an issue.

Derswede