• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbocharged Engine Operating Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I wanted to reach out to the collective and see if I could get some recommendations on the operation of my turbocharged (not turbo-normalized) engine...essentially information such as what power settings do the people who are running a turbocharged Lycoming use for takeoff/climb/cruise and other tips and tricks.

The engine is following:

-Lycoming IO-540 (150 HRS since non-certified but complete overhaul)

-Was not originally turbocharged

-Bendix Fuel injector AirFlow Performance with balanced nozzles

-Pistons 7.3:1 compression and all internals are balanced

-Camshaft “Aircraft Specialties Phase III grind” (whatever that is)

-Turbo Single Garrett turbocharger with intercooler

-TIAL wastegate with "small green 4.34 PSI spring" (THANKS Ross...finally got it installed and running)

-Ignition Dual Lightspeed Engineering Plasma III

-Propeller 3 blade MT composite

-Engine monitor Dynon Skyview

-EGT probes are mounted 2 inches down the exhaust pipe in all cylinders

-Running 100LL AVGAS

So what I would like to know is what are people running their engines under the following conditions (if you can describe your engine so as to get an apples to apples comparison):

-Takeoff

-MAP Inches Mercury

-RPM

-Cruise Climb

-MAP Inches Mercury

-RPM

-Cruise

-MAP Inches Mercury

-RPM

I also need to set the different colors of the engine monitor so I would greatly like to know what color bands to set the following:

Oil Pressure

-High red

-High yellow

-Green

-Low yellow

-Low red

Oil Temperature

-High red

-High yellow

-Green

-Low yellow

-Low red