• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbo normalizing calculations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
Basic question. If one knows how many CFM an engine flows at the design HP point being analyzed as well as the sea level manifold pressure required to achieve that HP? Is it as simple as PV=nRT absolute to plan for turbonormalizing? The reason I am interested in this is that I would like to optimize a miserly cruise of a slightly oversized engine for a turbocharged application. Therefore the two design points are sea level max power climb performance and then best fuel flow cruise at say 10k feet or near the oxygen limit. That is an odd way to look at an engine. Normally turbos are configured for a max HP, max RPM scenario. In this case you would be optimizing the turbo to bolster a very small engine such that it provided significant climb and static thrust at sea level and then to have only a minor contribution to normalize at partial throttle at altitude. Or is this the way the calculation always goes. This calculation would then lead to selecting the smallest engine with the largest turbo that could provide the correct design target at both extremes. Say 100 HP max for sea level takeoff vs. say 25-50 HP required to push 1.2 FPE along at FL10. That means that the turbo does not have to provide full airflow at 10k feet but only enough to maintain the small HP to push say a 35:1 L/D along.

Anyone have any sources for calcs for those two design points so I can do the research to build the spreadsheet for optimization. It would be interesting if there was a direct drive solution with a smallish prop.

AR, I already dabbled a bit in your FPE, Velocity, HP, MTOW sheet. Thanks.

Back