• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbo 4cyl build thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradsopex

Hey all I have been mulling this over for a while and want to see what kind of thoughts many of you have. But first, some thoughts of mine. Correct me where applicable.

I'm an engineer, GA pilot, and part time race car/engine builder. I have built engines for time attack and endurance racing. As an engineer, I have worked with certifying components to meet FAA and military standards for EMI and environmental effects (temp/altitude effects, vibe, etc). I also worked designing systems for military aircraft.

I have been interested in auto conversions for quite some time. As a GA pilot, I am constantly astounded at the cost of a lot of the items associated with the plane. However, I do understand it. The GA industry is in a vicious cycle where the low volume (and high certification costs) mean they need to charge a premium for their parts. However, the cost keeps people from getting into aviation, therefor keeping the volume low. Given the capability of so many things you can obtain cheaply today thanks to advancements in manufacturing and other technologies, there is no reason for it to cost a small fortune to keep flying.

That being said, after lurking around the forum for a bit I think some are confused as to what the auto conversion should be. Many seem to get into looking into it thinking that the initial cost would be much cheaper than a certified engine. In some cases that can be true, but in many others you can find a used certified engine for the same price as modifying an auto engine. For me, the trust allure to it is the cost savings when it comes to overhauls, maintenance, and operating costs. I'm planning on doing a lot of back country flying, and being able to get an emergency part from an auto parts store and gas up at any gas station is just so tempting.

That being said, I have an engine laying around that I have quite a bit of experience building up. My HP goal for flying is 120-180, and this will be going on a Kit-Fox style fuselage. The engine from the factory makes around 115 @ 5800 RPM. That just wont do.

I have built one of these engines in the past that would get me to 200hp and 140 ft/lb of torque at 3500 by throwing a turbo at it (and a few more modifications). I can get even more if I wanted.

I am thinking of building it for higher power, but only for the purpose of getting respectable numbers at a more manageable RPM so I'm not revving the crap out of it at cruise.

My biggest question at the moment, is where can I find a decent reduction drive? I COULD make my own as I have the equipment, but the money I would sink into building, testing, and breaking units just to end up pulling out my hair doesn't seem worth it.

Back