Turbo 4cyl build thoughts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bradsopex

So, you were driving at something over 110mph for long stretches?
Look, they were long empty stretches and we are now past the statute of limitations, so yes. This was a quick car, and the scenery in Nebraska and Wyoming was nothing to really slow down for, lol.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
This was a quick car, and the scenery in Nebraska and Wyoming was nothing to really slow down for, lol.
Yes, not much to see and times have changed. A 4 hour day time round trip down I-25 from Casper to Denver and back(550 miles)to pickup parts for the weekend race was once possible......and done many times.

If you planned ahead a bit and ordered the parts by10:00 AM you still had them by 3:00 pm, and there was no speeding, or rush service, involved. I'll let the younger members figure out how that worked in pre Amazon 'one day shipping' days.;)

"One day shipping" :eek: Kind of amazing how with all of the modern methods that is the fastest we can do today. :(

timberwolf8199

The numbers are not working together here...
My numbers were total guestimates based off a dyno chart, which of course does not factor aero resistance. The dyno measured the car at 137HP @ 8000 RPM, and ~110-115hp @ 5500 RPM.
The dyno is measuring maximum power. So unless your foot was glued to the floor at 5500rpm, you weren't using 115hp. RPM is linked directly, via the transmission, to speed while power is a result of load/torque required.
If you hitch a light trailer with a beavertail gate on it (essentially a parachute) to your car and then do the same test. You'll find your throttle position and fuel consumption to be much higher...because you're using more power to go the same speed.