Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1

Metalmaniac

Metalmaniac

Metalmaniac

Anybody know why cd players for small planes cost 5 times what they do for cars? Is there any internal difference or is this just another "certification" scam like alternators and stuff?
    I don't think I'm gonna spring 1200 bucks for one in my RV but I sure am curious. Thanks for any input. MetalManiac - Hanger 7A & 7A annex

2. Nov 23, 2004 #2

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Well, I don't have an answer for you... but I also can't understand why they cost so much either! I can tell you this, I will habe a CD player in my RV as well and it WON'T cost no 12 beans!

I expect they will come down in price and become more reasonable with the proliferation of homebuilts around.

What do you think about XM radio for your plane? The Control Vision handheld uses their service for in flight weather and you may as well use it for entertainment if it will be already installed. Just a thought.

:whistle: CJ

3. Nov 24, 2004 #3

GNR

GNR

GNR

5 times more expensive.....I know alot abotu car audio, So i know whats good an what isnt. Shouldnt be that much i would think. what brand is it?

If you where to get a cd-player i can tell you some good brands, don't get someing cheap and nasty, espcially in a plane when there is lots of vibrations. You would want someing with good anti-shock, so Cd won't skip. DO you know about MP3 disc.......basscially you can put on 200 songs onto a cd and listen to it. ( only certain cd players play them), MP3 dics would be a good way to go, because they don't jump.

XM radio would be good......reception anywhere in the world isnt it ?, but only some stations have it.......I think

4. Nov 24, 2004 #4

Jorear

Jorear

Jorear

You should consider an MP3 player. I have a Dell Jukebox 20 gig MP3 player that I am running through my PS Engineering PMA4000 audio panel, and it sounds great. I have a very simple "C" shaped mount on my panel that the carrying case/belt clip will clip onto. That and a short cord connecting the MP3 player to the panel and I am set. Runs off its own power. Nice thing about the PMA4000 is that the tunes get cut off when there is a TX or RX on the radio(s). Then the music ramps back up in volume to its previous level. Same thing occurs with the intercom.

Regards,

Jeff Orear
    RV6A N782p (reserved)
    firewall forward
    Peshtigo, WI

5. Nov 24, 2004 #5

Leighton

Leighton

Leighton

ive seen a bunch of helicopters and fixed wings with normal car CD players in them, (even a UH-1, if the vibes from an Iroquois dont bother a cd player, im sure your wee slab wing wont worry it in the slightest.) doesnt seem to worry them at all. they wire them in similar to the system Jorear mentions (music stops when tx/rx). If your running a 24 or 28v system then the price of a stereo and DC to DC inverter to step it back to 12v will probably still be cheaper than buying a fancy airplane one.

Leighton.

6. Nov 24, 2004 #6

GNR

GNR

GNR

good brands- drinfatly reccomended

Alpine, Claroin, elcipse, pioneer,

brands i would not recommend
    sony, fusion, lightning audio, power acoustik, explosive, panosonic, boschman

theres more in each catagory, but thats a few to name, I don't know what sorta stuff you have in your country, but they are the bigger brands ^. Just go for a GOOD brand, they will last a heck of a lot longer, espcilly in all the vibrations,

Go for a CD player, CD-MP3 player, so then you can play your good old Cd's. and make some CD-mp3 player cds, I didnt realise planes where 24 vote, defintalty get an inverter, heaps cheaper,

7. Nov 25, 2004 #7

Leighton

Leighton

Leighton

GNR, most planes are either 24v or 28v DC, the smaller planes have something resembling an alternator on them, helicopters etc have pure massive DC generators on them (or Starter/Generators), with inverters to run the 110v, 400hz AC systems.

as far as installing car stereos go, the "quality" factor for a car stereo in a plane is a completly different game. it would be a complete waste of money going out and buying something like a Phenoix Gold bajillion dollar system because your not going to hear the benefits through a set of David Clarks.

brands like Sony and whatnot work fine, in fact, the run of the mill head units are the ones i've seen installed in aircraft most. I have however, seen a Eurocopter EC-120 with a kickass Kenwood system installed (had a 6 stack CD player and everything) but that was a multimillion dollar aircraft and the guy had every kit you could think of on it, not really a good comparison.

Leighton.

8. Nov 25, 2004 #8

GNR

GNR

GNR

(kenwoods a good brand) yer i know your not going to hear the diffence bettween a sony stero or phonix gold thro the headphones.....but im talkin about built quailty, and how long its going to last for with all the vibrations......all the cheaper brands tend to go for bling bling and not put much money into build quaility, all the better brands invest money into wants in side, I can put money that a brand like alpine or phonix gold will last a heck of a lot longer than a sony or boshman cd/mp3 player, espcially with all the vibrations

Im not talkin about gonig to buy the most expensive unit, just a good brand one, If i were to spend say $300 for a unit, and theres a sony one, thats looks hell hip hop cool dude, and and alpine one that is simple but good.........i know im going to go for alpine.....better brand, and it will last a heck of a lot longer.

every dollar spent in advertiseing, is a dollar less spent trying to make the product better, the best brands are the ones you've never herd of......( in most cases)

9. Mar 5, 2005 #9

Lee Schaumberg

Lee Schaumberg

Lee Schaumberg

Plane Audio

The big difference between plane and car audio sytems is voltage and price. Don't you know that stuff for planes will sell for lots more because planes sell for lots more. Sounds stupid but the truth.
    This is what I want -
    XM sattelite radio searious sets don't play nascar!
    FM player
    CD player

You can test all this in your car first!:D
    Lee

The more you know the more you don't know , then you die. Back when I was 21 I thought I knew everything:ban: