• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tuned Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyhighdave

I have been working on the design of exhaust pipes for my Barracuda project - IO540. I have a pvc mock up kit from one of the custom exhaust companies and am trying to achieve equal lengths to the
3 into 1 collectors on either side of the engine. This is a tedious and I believe impossible task given the limited space available for wiggling the pipes around in an effort to get them to be the same length.
The guy at the fabrication shop said that I probably can't get them to be truly equal & that seems to be correct.
This leads to my question of whether it's a worthy undertaking at all. Is the potential increase in power worth it? Will there be a benefit if the pipes are not quite equal in length? Maybe I should just keep it simple & go straight out on either side. It seems that all the extra hot pipe bending around will also add a lot of heat to the engine compartment.
What say ye fellow aeronauts?
Thanks!

Back