• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tube Steel Landing Gear Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon_H

Hello,

I'm working on a replica of an SE5a and although the fuselage is constructed using wood, I'm considering making the landing gear using steel, so I thought this discussion area would be the best place for this thread. The most common landing gear used on the SE5a was made of White Ash, but many early production planes used steel. The reasons why I am considering using steel is that it would be a bit difficult and expensive to find Ash of the size and quality necessary. I am also almost certain that the steel landing gear would be lighter.

The empty weight of the plane will be about 1450 lbs. and the mgtow is about 1980 lbs.. The plans that I have do not include any information on the early steel landing gear, so my question is what gauge of tubing I should use for a plane of that size. The outside diameter diameter of the tubing will be 1.25 inches.

Thank you for your help!

-Falcon H

Back