• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Trouble with Chris Heintz design book

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

I have started reading Chris Heintz' book Flying on Your own Wings which I hoped would help me start getting a better understanding of design principles and get me back into math and science a bit since I dropped out of UCF's engineering program a few years back to join the Army. I have read Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders by Raymer and Light Airplane Design by Pazmany and both of these are rather general in a lot of aspects and I wanted something with a little more meat. Here is my problem, and I want to make sure I am not crazy, I am only just into chapter 3 and Heintz has made few statements that I believe to be false. Very false. He is much more educated then me and has forgotten more about engineering then I ever learned but if I am correct about these statements it makes all the stuff I don't understand and am trying to learn questionable. Here is the real doosie that has be completely confused (if I am wrong someone please correct me)

He defines;
The unit of Force as grams and goes on to say that weight is grams, Kilograms, etc.
Mass=weight/earth's acceleration (this sounds good but then he goes backwards) so;
Mass= W/g = (kg.sec^2)/m

I learned that Mass is gram, kg, etc. and "weight" or the force we can measure due to gravity is measured in N, Newtons, and the correct unit for this is kg.m/sec^2.

This definition of Mass is used in all his following equations for inertia, kinetic energy, etc. which all look odd because of this. Am I crazy?

Back