Tri-Mower Design

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TiPi

Log Member
I bought one of these Tillotson 212cc engines last December. I've got it mounted to an engine test stand for experimentation. I recently bought an Xoar 36x12 propeller to test with it. It should take 9 HP at 4050 RPM and 10 HP at 4200 RPM, but I need to figure out how I'm going to mount the propeller before I can proceed with any testing to verify any of this.

My first attempt was to draw up in CAD a custom propeller interface to mount to the shaft. However, having the parts made as I drew them is going to cost a bit more than the engine, so I'm looking at different designs now and other alternatives. If anyone has good advice on how to inexpensively add a propeller interface to a 3/4" straight keyed engine shaft, I'd sure like to know about it.

I figure there is about a 50/50 chance this engine investigation is a wild goose chase, but maybe it will bare fruit in the long run. Couped with the right design, it has the potential to be part of a very affordable ultralight.
for testing purposes, I use a V-belt pulley with the appropriate Taper-Lock adaptor. In your case (3/4" shaft), probably a 1210 or 1610 Taper-Lock and a single-groove pulley where the bottom of the groove is larger than your prop bolt PDC. Single chain sprockets can also work. Then mark the PDC and drill&tap the holes.
upload_2020-2-12_19-42-40.jpeg

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I can get a student pilot certificate and get to the point where I'm signed off to solo the plane. I can then solo it as a student pilot, indefinitely.
Take a look at the restrictions on student pilot solo flight in the FARs. You might decide that getting instruction every 90 days isn't very convenient to do indefinitely.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I am getting the drift that if you build a "glider" whether it is motorized by a gazillion engines/motors or none you do not need a pilot certificate to fly it solo. Not any EAB glider, just the one's you build and license yourself.

I am wondering why more people don't register there aircraft as gliders. I guess it is a pain to get a glider license if you want to haul passengers.