Quantcast

Trailering from Texas to California recommendations

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pushpuller

Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of who could do this for me, the airplane will be on a trailer pretty much ready to go, thanks

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Wat kind of airplane and trailer, what type of vehicle is needed, and when does this need to get done? I can ask a friend in the ultralight world, no idea if or when he would do it. There are people who advertise aircraft trailering services if you did not already know.

Last edited:

Pushpuller

Quasar lite on a purpose built trailer, yup I am just seeking out all possibilities including those that do it for a living

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Contact Pat P and ask him. He moves a lot of planes cross country... it’s a hobby and a second source of income for him.

Email: editor AT contactmagazine.com

singledadinmo2000

HBA Supporter
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of who could do this for me, the airplane will be on a trailer pretty much ready to go, thanks
I will trailer it for you if you have it on a trailer I will move it I have a Durango that will Paul about anything I have moved seven airplanes now three from Florida to Missouri Missouri to South Dakota Missouri to California never had an issue

Gary Hilton

HBA Supporter
I have been moving all sorts of aircraft across the lower 48 for the past 15 years. I have moved everything from hanggliders to Lockheed Harpoons.
Most of what I used to haul with was a Dodge diesel 3/4 ton.
Since you have it on a trailer, it would be cheaper to move it yourself. But I do understand that time is money to folks, that is where I came into the equation, and I did pretty well at it.
At present, going rates in the age of Covid 19, loaded miles will run you anywhere from $2 to $3 per mile, and deadhead miles around $.85 per mile, unless you find someone looking for a backhaul, that will reduce your rate.

Doran Jaffas

I agree with the individual that said pull it yourself. I have moved several of my own aircraft and a couple of years ago helped load an airplane I sold to someone that flew in from Colorado and rented a trailer. Eyeball engineering and a lot of padding will usually do the trick along with being very cautious with your driving. They used his dad's truck which I believe was a 3/4 ton. The aircraft was a Cignet SF2A.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I had mentioned this on another similar thread, but I think it deserves saying again. You do NOT want thew airplane tied down hard or shackled hard into the trailer. The trailer flexes, twists, and bends when driving, and it will bend anything that is firmly attached to it.

Gary Hilton

HBA Supporter
There are points that can be tied down hard, such as the main wheels. I do this all the time on 190s,195s, 180s, 172s, etc. Never ever any stress damage in 20 years of hauling. If you tie directly under the structure you will have no problem with the flexing, it's when you go to an extreme angle, the flexing can do some damage. I have found that a trailer that flexes a lot actually can work to ones advantage. Main thing is to take your time when loading and figuring how to secure the load.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the tips, this is timely. I might be needing to either trailer or hire soon.

tralika

You might also check the dimensions and see if your plane would fit in a Uhaul truck. I just looked at the website, you can rent a truck, 26'2" x 8'2" x 8'3" one way from Texas to California for about $1100. Put the plane in the truck to keep it protected during the trip and tow the empty trailer behind. Those trucks are set up with anchor points along both interior walls to hang the wings. You could also rent a smaller truck for several hundred dollars less and tow the plane/trailer with the truck empty. That might be your least expensive option if you don't own a tow vehicle.

I'm not trying to stimulate a discussion on why the Uhaul rates are cheaper from Texas to California than from California to Texas. I applaud the monitors for removing the political rants. There are lots of places to talk (scream) partisan politics on the web. No need to do it here.