Trailerable Single Seater

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Lendo

OK short for (Old Koreelah), I have been to Mudgee a few times, I must get down to see you (when things get better) I am a curious George, who do I ask for and where do I ask in Town?
George

rotax618

Trailering a plane can subject it to large shock loads, far higher than any gust loads it might encounter. A friend of mine had a Hyperbipe which he trailered around, it was fitted with a ‘G’ meter and it wasn’t unusual to se 10G displayed after being trailered.

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
I googled “panther wing fold video”. Here is one of several Sport Performance Aviation LLC on Facebook Watch

BJC
Thanks for the video.

Here's the thing which I don't get, the video shows two wing spars which are removed from the fuselage. And the pic in this thread shows a yellow three spar configuration with two hinges.

😆 You probably shouldn't ask that...
I know, I know, I shouldn't have asked... :D

But I would love to see a video of this three wingspar aircraft folding and folding wings... :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the video.

Here's the thing which I don't get, the video shows two wing spars which are removed from the fuselage. And the pic in this thread shows a yellow three spar configuration with two hinges.

I know, I know, I shouldn't have asked... :D

But I would love to see a video of this three wingspar aircraft folding and folding wings... :)
That is a different airplane from the one Daleandee posted.

I googled “Onex wing fold video” and found this

BJC

RSD

For a trailerable airplane I'd be looking at a Sadler/Wedgetail Vampire
and

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
View attachment 109453

Perhaps this photo will inspire more confidence.
Nope. Unfortunately, it does not. I've seen quite a few three piece wingspars, and this one seems a bit... underdevelopped. I bet it is ok and solid, but it would not provide confidence for simple aerobatics. The Panther seems like a sturdier design.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nope, not for me..............but the math works. ;)
Trusting the math is perhaps like trusting your attitude indicator--at first it's blind faith, and then after experience has proved it to be safe, your intuitive perspective might be changed (or perhaps not).

My first CFI (a structural engineer) once said he had to "turn off" his structural thinking around airplanes because intuitively they seemed too insubstantial. Of course, he was used to working with a FOS that made things earthquake- and hurricane-proof...

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
<< >> and then after experience has proved it to be safe, your intuitive perspective might be changed (or perhaps not). < >>
I actually picked this particular system to do a napkin grade analysis of because it does have at least some in-service history. The reason being that the numbers I was comming up with for my own wing fold mechanism led me to structure that just didn't 'feel' robust. I got the same 'feeling' looking at the Onex system.

Now, pending testing, I'm quite comfortable with my numbers.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA