Trailerable Single Seater

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

patrickrio

Can I get some Polish Translation for the specs on the Borzecki Skowronek JB-4?
JB-4 capture.JPG

henryk

Borzecki Skowronek JB-4 265lbs empty with a 935cc VW flat 4 engine (!)
=yes!

120 kg with alu fuselage/cabin,
1943 VW (Kubel Wagen) 1131 cm^3, 3l/h !!! ,20 HP, 2000 RPM ,80 kG thrust (measured
in fly by tensometer on the crancshaft !).
=left hand ,directly by propeller simple start (no magneto,little accus +capacitor ignition)

-its a pity,
I was whitness His last tragic fly= the left tubular woooden longeron was destroyed
and lost big part of wing.circa 50 m altitude...

=German translation ?

PS=famous russian constructor Oleg Antonov was send letter to Jozef Borzecki
with congratulations and very good opinion !

Old Koreelah

Impressive, beautifully-built little aeroplane!

My own trailerable single seater is a bit different; the fuselage folds around over the one-piece wing and no controls are disconnected.
I have assembled it off the carrier in 18 minutes, but half an hour is a more sensible time.

This is what it looked like years ago:

Today it looks like this:

Attachments

Riggerrob

Dear rotax 618,
The designer out a lot of thought into the dis-assembly scheme.
May I suggest a tool-roll or shadow board to keep track of all the bolts, pins and tools.
Another suggestion is installing dummy sockets for bolts beside their in-flight locations (ala. Swedish Army G3 rifle). That will reduce the number of loose parts.
A third suggestion is to install a longer tail boom or move the hinge farther forward to allow the rudder to hang between the prop and wing. That might require displacing the rudder a bit to the side, but would vastly reduce the number of bolts.

Daleandee

"Fit in 18ftx7x7 space (trailer ) when folded"

If I were gonna build a single seat, folding wing, fit in a trailer plane it would be:

Lendo

Dear Old Koreelah. I Love it, there's more design in the trailer than there is in the plane, which I'm sure flies well, I'm assuming it's your design.
Where the Bloody hell are you located in Australia. I'm in Brissie.
Tell me more!
George

robertl

Impressive, beautifully-built little aeroplane!

My own trailerable single seater is a bit different; the fuselage folds around over the one-piece wing and no controls are disconnected.
I have assembled it off the carrier in 18 minutes, but half an hour is a more sensible time.

This is what it looked like years ago:

Today it looks like this:
Holy Molly, my mind is blown! Nice work !

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I Love it, there's more design in the trailer than there is in the plane

Ditto.
That is more of a portable assembly line than a trailer.
IMHO it is a solution we, those of us that are interested in portable planes, should consider more often. It adds another layer of engineering and construction to the task but the overall savings of time and money can be a good trade.

Add one more layer of complexity - a fold back flexable tent like covering and you have a complete solution to the 'store at home' plane.

Last edited:

Riggerrob

How practical is it to simply chock and chain wheels to the trailer floor? With landing gear shock absorbers be enough to prevent airframe damage on rough roads?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
NO, the number of load cycles that are put on an airframe, over the course of 1000 flights, is far less than the number of load cycles put on it by just a few miles of trailering on an imperfect road.

Old Koreelah

...Where the Bloody hell are you located in Australia. I'm in Brissie...
Thanks George; I’m in Quirindi- no further geographic information required because there’s only one Quirindi on the planet.

Ditto.
That is more of a portable assembly line than a trailer.
IMHO it is a solution we, those of us that are interested in portable planes, should consider more often. It adds another layer of engineering and construction to the task but the overall savings of time and money can be a good trade...
Good point, HW. My aircraft carrier took a couple of years to build, but enabled me to quickly set up to fly each weekend. Worth the effort.
I actually built most of the carrier and the plane in its container; that means lots of squeezing around confined spaces, but it also has advantages: I can slide up under the fuselage to work on the underside of my instrument panel.
A few years ago I totally redesigned the mechanism to make set-up even easier, but these days it spends most of its time in our club’s hanger.
How practical is it to simply chock and chain wheels to the trailer floor? With landing gear shock absorbers be enough to prevent airframe damage on rough roads?
I have a tie-down under the wing, but rarely use it; a snug fit seems to keep it stable, but there are a few marks from rubbing while passing over bumps. No matter how much care is invested, trailering will always result in some wear and tear.

sming

Fiy and iirc, it's a non flying real size mock up of this ingenious man idea. I believe he is not an engineer and was looking on the french ulm forum for help to calculate the wing structure.