Trace Engines L.P.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Autodidact

I believe they are FAA certified - this is the Orenda that was developed in Canada from the big block chevy although there is little to none of that left. I think I read that the guy who did (or helped with) the PSRU also worked on the PSRU for the RR Merlin. Not sure if that's true though; the Merlin was designed long ago in the misty past.
I hope they are succesful; shirley there's a use for such an engine?

engineguy

Trace has recieved its Production Certificate on October 14, 2009. It is certificate 17SW.

The Reduction Gear Box (RGB) has all internal lubrication package, so no external lines like some of the cheaper PSRUs. This makes for a safer and more reliable RGB, which also has a 1500 TBO. At TBO, the seals are typically the only things replaced since they are shelf or time limited parts. The guy who designed the Merlin gear box was not involved in this design. It is not nearly as complicated as the Merlin unit. There were numerous engineers that were involved however.

Feel free to email or ask me any questions on the TRACE Engine. I would be more than happy to answer any operational or technical question.

David

Autodidact

Engineguy, where is the oil tank for the RGB? Does it have an oil cooler? Roller element or shell bearings? Are the gear teeth lubed by spray bar or? Will the heads bolt onto a cast iron block? How is torsional vibration dealt with?
Fantastic engine.:)

engineguy

The RGB oil is common to the engine dry sump oil system.
There is an oil cooler for the entire engine .
Roller bearings that have nozzles directed to the gears.
The cylinder heads are nit compatible with other blocks as the coolant passages are unique and the coolant flow rate is 3 times an automotive application because the engine in an aircraft runs 75 percent typically where a car runs 30 percent.
Torsional handled through a quill shaft between engine and RGB.

Autodidact

Engineguy, one more question please, if I ran a zz383 direct drive and 75% of rated power were 160 hp, would I be able to configure the cooling system w/stock aluminum heads to handle the heat?

engineguy

That is beyond my area of expertise. I can tell you anything about the TRACE engine. I will say that EGTs will tell you a lot in a ground test situation. Al heads are light but don't like real high temps

Autodidact

Thanks; can't wait to see some aircraft with this engine installed - a short fuselage Aero Commander would be the "you know what"!:shock:

shadow

EngineGuy, was there any investigation into thermal barrier coatings to help with thermal management issues?

Thanks,
Serge.

Dan Thomas

I found this by accident the other day. They claim to have received a FAA production certificate.

TRACE Engines L.P. - High Performance Aircraft Engines

Dave
Here's the TCDS:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/0f23e18ada428ce286257669007271e9/$FILE/E00060EN.pdf

It was developed here in Canada, but they aimed it at conversions for turbine-powered aircraft like the King Air. I think that was a mistake; people like the reliability and long TBO of a turboprop, even if it burns a bit more fuel than an avgas engine.

And it's not for the average homebuilt, not at 730 lbs, 600 hp takeoff, 500 hp continuous. Would sound nice in a fighter replica, though.

Dan

dviglierchio

I don't understand. Kevin Eldredge was building a new NXT around one of these but threw in the towel when they came up short. Something must have changed.......?!

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The Orenda "dream" still lives in this Trace Company? Apparently the world has not exhausted its supply of dumb investors yet.

KeithO

People have money that they want to make more money with. The Market is not paying squat in interest currently. Apparently these guys must have convinced a bunch of investors that they have it going on. I have to say that with the ridiculous price of turbines, I can understand how someone sees this being an opportunity. You basically can't even get the smallest (real) turbine for less than $200k and that is probably more now. Cue picture of Williams with 2 turbines under his armpits, holding over 400 grand...

If they find customers willing to part with $200k for these, then good luck to them. If they prove to be reliable and less expensive to maintain, it may start a trend back to piston engines and away from turbines for non airline aviation. Soon the only ones with turbines will be the military and the airlines. I would be all for it. I'm sure that the aviation fleet is currently shrinking due to cost and an overall drop in disposable income.

Dan Thomas

People have money that they want to make more money with. The Market is not paying squat in interest currently. Apparently these guys must have convinced a bunch of investors that they have it going on.

If they find customers willing to part with $200k for these, then good luck to them. If they prove to be reliable and less expensive to maintain, it may start a trend back to piston engines and away from turbines for non airline aviation. Soon the only ones with turbines will be the military and the airlines. I would be all for it. I'm sure that the aviation fleet is currently shrinking due to cost and an overall drop in disposable income.
DHC-2 TRACE Beaver | Sealand Aviation Ltd., Campbell River small aircraft maintenance, repairs, modifications

The Trace Beaver.mov - YouTube

Should fly soon, if it hasn't already.

Dan