• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Toyota 7A-FE Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechAeroAuto

Long story short, I was looking at Toyota Corolla/Geo Prizm engines and I got to wondering why these engines aren't more commonly discussed as potential experimental conversions.

Comparing the Toyota 7A-FE to the Subaru EA-81

TOYOTA - SUBARU

Displacement: 1762cc - 1781cc
Bore: 81mm (3.189") - 92mm (3.622")
Stroke: 85.5mm (3.366") - 67mm (2.638")
Power/Torque: Russian: - EA-81T (Turbo/MPEFI)
120 hp @ 6000rpm - 95 hp @4200rpm
115 ft*lbs @ 4400rpm - 123 ft*lbs @ 2300rpm
American ('93-'95) - American ('80-'94)
110 hp @ 5600rpm - 73 hp @ 4800rpm
115 ft*lbs @ 2800rpm - 94 ft*lbs @ 2400rpm

Weight: ????????? - ??????????

I'm not sure of exact weights but I am sure the Aluminum Subaru engine block weighs considerably less than the Cast Iron Toyota engine block. I would think the Subaru crank might weigh less than the Toyota as well. However, I have read reports of the 7A-FE turbo charged and ran "all day" at "160-to-200hp" with correct turbo charger and tuning set up.

Without having a number on the engines weight, I wonder what viability there would be for this engine running inverted and direct or with a respectable PSRU.

Back