Towable ? Long range towing ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

Once you get the wheels and wheel bearings figured out (entirely possible), then you can start addressing the stresses that the airframe, wing mounts, and structural attachments will be taking. But that problem will get ugly very quickly I believe.

The big issue is that airplane wing attachments (in particular) are not designed for the type and number of those loads. So you will NOT be able to use the common Avid Flyer and many other similar methods of folding wings. There's a huge difference between wing hinge bolts that allow you to store it in a smaller space, and wing hinge bolts that can take real road use.

So my suggestion is that you are going to need a totally separate hinge and folding system that does not in any way involve the mounting points, load paths, and hardware that attaches the wings and/or struts to the fuselage during flight.

Then you can think about the tails vibrating up and down over every road reflector, the control surfaces flapping up and down, etc. Once those are sorted out, you can finally start thinking about the reversing loads on the longerons, engine mount, spars, and "big parts".

I'm sorry to be raining on a nice daydream, but I belive that it would take a dedicated new design, built specifically for tis purpose. And it would wing up looking ilke a Terrafugia or Apollo Lunar Landing Module, or something else very non-airplane-like.

Jedi's Immutable Law of Aerospace Expenditure (as referenced in post #4 above) provides that: "There are very few aviation related problems that money will not solve" . However, the second half of that equation, colloquially known as the "Aviation-Motivated Bank Robbery Theorem" is rarely applied successfully, or applied in time to save an idea from failure.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
"Aviation-Motivated Bank Robbery Theorem" is rarely applied successfully, or applied in time to save an idea from failure.
I'm not so sure about that, "Aviation-Motivated Bank Robbery" seems to be what's happened to my bank account since I started flying. It's been very successful, and no sign of the culprit stopping anytime soon.

So what about the tail surfaces when towing an aircraft on a trailer? Wouldn't the be subject to the same loads? There's usually not much suspension on a trailer.

Pilot-34

One of the nice things about that trailer Plane I saw last night was that the town surface nice square in less than 8 feet wide

Victor Bravo

You could put a small weight shift trike folded up on a portable (generic) roof rack on the car, eliminating 90% of the trailering and transport damage. When you deliver (or park) the car, you can ship the roof rack back home by UPS, and fly the trike back. Next trip, put the roof rack on the next car, load up the trike, and get back on the road.

Not an "airplane", but more capable than a paramotor, and far far less headache to transport.