Tough ultralight

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

If you want to make the trip to NC, I have a CGS Hawk with an AL cover cockpit, with Rotax engine. Wings will need recover and tail feathers, but bird is complete. I found a flying one so will let this one go for $2500. Will check, but should fit a Penske 26' truck.

Derswede

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Brian5337, before you buy or commit to any particular airplane, UL or otherwise, make sure you have done some reading on how each one of them flies. They all have different characteristics, just like dogs, cars, horses, girlfriends, etc.

For example, the Kolb series of airplanes is among the highest "performing" of all the ultralights (more efficient for any given engine power), but they have one well-known "personality quirk" at the low end of the speed range. The Kolbs are also the easiest "taildragger" type airplanes to fly (because of the very long tailboom length and geometry of the wings and landing gear).

Other designs have their own personality quirks at the higher end of the speed range, or have nearly idiot-proof handling in all areas but they sacrifice some aspect of performance.

Brian5337

Victor Bravo, thank you i will do that. I've decided to slow down a bit and do some book learning for a bit. It was recommended to me that I read "see how it flies" which I started yesterday and I'm already wowd by it. I had no clue that so much went into flying. Do you know of a specific place (preferably online) that I could find literature on flight characteristics of different ultralight/lightsport? I'm interested in learning more but am quiet ignorant of where to look for this type of info. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You are already in the right place. Just make a post on the ultralight part of this forum, with the title "Any experience flying a _______ ?" and you will get replies from people who have hands on experience.