Quantcast

Torque Master

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

F

fly scared!

Does anyone have some experience (hours) with these engines:

Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO

Most other suppliers (Great Plains, RevMaster, AeroConversions, Hummel...) these days want to sell you an "aircraft grade" engine, while these seem genuine barebone conversions (heavy, no dual ignition et c. ) with a affordable price tag.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I fly with a 1835 VW engine with no electrics, with a firewall forward weight of 141 lbs. I cruise at 2650-2700 rpm.
I will not cruise a VW above 3000-3100 rpm. If you keep the engine in the performance range that it was design for, its a great engine with no heat problems. Dan

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I fly with a 1835 VW engine, straight drive, with no electrics, with a firewall forward weight of 141 lbs. I cruise at 2650-2700 rpm.
I will not cruise a VW above 3000-3100 rpm. If you keep the engine in the performance range that it was design for, its a great engine with no heat problems. Dan

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Some of these engines are pretty sweet, especially one made for the Hummel. There is an article about some guy who made an engine custom fit to the Hummel, and it was doing something like 180mph.

The thing is, people like to think backwards. Many planes are built for a certain HP class, and not the width or CG of the engine. Eventually the community is going to have to standardize mounts for engines, where a single design comes with plans for several front ends, with the correct CG and width for a model of engine.

F

fly scared!

I agree with the above comments about the VW conversions in general, but I would like to focus specifically on this brand.
Failures ? Support ? Accessory ? Compatibility with other makers (electric start, dual ignition, psru et c.) ?

F

fly scared!

Finally got a reply from a distributor: the engine is not for sale anymore (even if it still shows up in the site).

Latest posts