• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

TORCHES for Frame Construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hi All:

New here. Looking to build a legal eagle now and then hoping to get going on a Murphy Rebel or possibly a Bearhawk Patrol. The Legal Eagle looks like a fun way to keep busy while I save.

My question is this. I am pretty much sold on gas welding over Tig. I made a few knives once and from that can understand how brittle steel can get. It makes sense to me that the gasweld process would temper that back out in the same step while the intense and very focused Tig weld would cool so quick as to almost quench the weld.

Anyway, my question is this. I already have a nice medium duty smith setup. Should I use it or go ahead and buy a smaller torch like the Smith AW1A or a Meco Midget or anything similar that one might suggest. On one hand it makes sense to try what I have and see, but I'd be interested in knowing from anyone that tried both how much an advantage the smaller torch is. I'm sure I could get by with what I have, but I'd never know if $150 or so could have made my life a lot easier and potentially offer a better outcome. Seems like comfort helps quality a lot in welding.

Hope this question is clear.

Thanks,

John

Back