Tooling board suppliers, prices, advice, BTDT experience

Discussion in 'Composites' started by Jay Kempf, Dec 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 24, 2019 #21

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Small stuff I can do on my Creality machine. That has a 12" square bed 16" high. Nice machine but it takes forever to do a large piece on that machine. I consider 1' square a small part.

2. Dec 24, 2019 #22

Aviacs

Aviacs

Aviacs

Can i assume these products are essentially moisture and thermally stable at "normal" shop temperatures?
    IOW, part of the appeal vs say wood? Are elements included in large hollow formats to stiffen them? Plywood, e.g.?
    What is the bonding agent (glue)?

perhaps more important for me: do any of the densities listed (starting with cheapest/most commonly available, of course) respond well to edge tools? That is, can they be more or less readily shaped with carving tools such as chisels, planes, & rasps if you don't have cnc router option?

I have made male & female tools in aluminum, wood, and with Freeman's repro products for foundry patterns & core boxes, and larger items for fiberglass parts or forms for wood bending.
    I have no experience with the foam products mentioned above. Interest would be fiberglass plug(s).

thanks!
    smt

3. Dec 24, 2019 #23

Lendo

Lendo

Lendo

EPS (Expanded Polystyrene), is best used with a high density for more stability, it can be CNC cut to shape but needs sealing. There are a number of ways to do this. It works for one-off or approx 3-off as it can get damaged with handling in the molding process. Probably the best way is to use that stretch plastic Vacuumed into the shape before the Lay-up, which is also vacuum bagged.
    I see that as the easiest, cheapest and lightest alternative.
    George

4. Dec 24, 2019 #24

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

How do you make the stretch film stick? And what stretch film for what type of mold? I am doing 2+ deep wing cavities, two per CNC routered blank. Soon to have 5" deep fuselage cavities 16" high and after joining two CNC panels 92" long. Raw CNC cut foam with film adhesive strategy would be ideal. Haven't figured out how to do that yet. I bought some Strechelon to experiment with.