Too many birds around your airfield? Get some pigs!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
We have some two legged pigs here. But we don't have sugar beets, so I guess this isn't a solution for us. We have much more of a deer problem than a bird problem anyway.

Riggerrob

When read with a British accent, the OP has a radically different meaning.
The only thing worse would be to add the word "slag."
Hah!
Hah!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Me, to FAA safety person: “Our grass runways frequently have Sandhill Cranes on them.”

FAA man: “You should make low passes to run them off before landing.”

Me: “😁”.

I don’t want any hogs.

BJC

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Birds are a problem. Hunter pressure will drive off birds. If you can not employ the hunter approach, you can add some pigs. Worldwide experience with pigs is then you will have to start harvesting hogs. They are very resistant to being corralled and taken to slaughter. Skilled hunters with rifles is the most cost effective means of harvesting wild hogs. All of the neighboring properties will then have wild hog problems and need skilled hunters with rifles too. Be really careful about unintended consequences.

In Michigan, several airports have employed dogs trained to harass birds and keep them from nesting or congregating. Might be a better solution, and dogs are better with airport tenants and neighbors than pigs.

Billski

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...In Michigan, several airports have employed dogs trained to harass birds and keep them from nesting or congregating...
Trained? Came completely natural to my dogs. Well, to most of them anyway.

Daleandee

In Michigan, several airports have employed dogs trained to harass birds and keep them from nesting or congregating. Might be a better solution, and dogs are better with airport tenants and neighbors than pigs.

Billski
Border collies are especially good at this.

cvairwerks

We had a customer lose a fairly new jet to a hog strike. Lots of damage from the initial impact at around 110 knots and a several hundred pound boar. The impact was bad enough the jet veered of the runway and into the grass. The jet was deemed a total loss due to the damage.

You don’t want hogs around the airport as they will turn any grass area into a spanse of nothing but craters in a matter of a couple of weeks.