Too cold in the garage

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by wally, Jan 18, 2005.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1

wally

wally

wally

The standard disclaimer applies, try this at your own risk!

It is too cold in the garage this week and I really wanted to keep doing something on my Pitts. All I could think of today was a small sheet metal panel around my fuel shut-off that I had made a couple of days ago and needed some finish on it.

SO: I brought it in the house (wife is at work, I work afternoons) and sanded it with 400 wet. Then alodined it using a garbage bag to protect the sink from stains. After it was rinsed and dry, I am thinking, it sure would be nice if I could at least spray some primer (rattle-can) on this but it is 25 degrees F in the garage and colder outside.

AH-HA: our kitchen has a Jenn-Air stove top. Let's see, a couple of sheets from today's newspaper that was handy on the kitchen table to protect the top, turn on the exhaust fan, instant "paint booth" sorta.

I set the part near the opening and it worked pretty well. Very little paint smell in the house and the overspray went right out the vent! Very little overspray even on the newspaper. I may be onto something here...

Wally, looking foreward to warmer weather near Memphis

2. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #3

wally

wally

wally

Hey thanks! That unit looks very nice.

4. Jan 24, 2005 #4

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Figured it was big enough for the Memphis 'winters' <cough cough>. And it doesnt have an exposed flame.

5. Jan 24, 2005 #5

CNCRouterman

CNCRouterman

CNCRouterman

Paint booth

Bear in mind that a kitchen range hood has only a carbon filter to filter out the flammable stuff from that convienient fan motor, aka handy ignition source for flamable vapors. I would be concerned about the real possibility of a kitchen fire that would be hard to explain to the wife, not to mention the insurance adjuster.

6. Jan 24, 2005 #6

gahan

gahan

gahan

spray paint in exaust fan

wally
    I expect two more painting and your wife will beat you with a stick! try this, buy the cheapest furnace filter you can buy. remove the metal greasy nasty thing and cut filter to fit ,put greasy thing in dish washer , big time suckey points and will also wash out paint . reinstall clean metal filter, additional points. your process has merit but could be a fire hazard if over done.
    your lucky your in Tenn. how long can it stay that cold! we haven't been over 18 in 2 weeks, a few nights below 0

reguards
    tom gahan