Tired after car trip or airplane trip?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by rrruuunnn, Dec 7, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1

rrruuunnn

rrruuunnn

rrruuunnn

:ponder:If you had to compare how you'd feel after a long 3 hour car ride to an hour flying, which makes you more tired?

2. Dec 7, 2009 #2

orion

orion

orion

Car, definitely. But as far as comfort is concerned, the airplane trip makes me more sore. The good news though is that the typical three hour car trip is only about an hour in the airplane. Much better.

3. Dec 7, 2009 #3

Waiter

Waiter

Waiter

Sound, Vibration, and lower Oxygen level contribute to fatigue.

I generally take a couple Ibeprofine before a long flight. seems to help a lot.

Waiter

4. Dec 7, 2009 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'm sorry, but I don't recall ever being fatigued by flying (except in airline travel). Cars are a different matter... I get fatigued just thinking about driving. :gig:

I suppose it's mostly a matter of attitude for me. Also, in a plane, if the view starts to get a little stale, I can always throw in some more turns (or an upside down horizon).

5. Dec 7, 2009 #5

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I would feel less fatigued after a car trip in most cases. But a 3 hour car trip would be about the same as a 1 hour small airplane flight. Just depends on turbulence and other stressful conditions.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #6

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I think it's mainly a matter of traffic and external inputs. Noise, vibrations, a lack of music, driving in the dark all don't help, but at least for me traffic is the most important one. 2 hrs on the Peripherique of Paris and you're exhausted, two hours of gaggle-flying and you're also done. Driving or flying the whole day however when it's less busy is no problem at all.

Especially competitions are horrible, having 35 gliders in a 1000' sphere is quite... intense

7. Dec 8, 2009 #7

needswings

needswings

needswings

When I was first learning to fly I got very tired after just an hour or so of flying. It became less of a problem as I progressed.

My first NavEx though, I was exhausted after that - it was only 2.5 hours in the air (1.25 each way) with some time on the ground in the middle to watch an airshow.

These days I'm normally so happy just to have gone for a flight that it keeps me keyed up for hours.

8. Dec 9, 2009 #8

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Two or three hours of ridge soaring tires me out. The constant concentration is the culprit. My body is usually fine.

9. Dec 9, 2009 #9

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

The plane is a little more tiring than the car. The only time flying really wears me down is if I have a lot of IFR or if the autopilot is not behaving, and then only if it is a long day of flying.

Billski

10. Dec 9, 2009 #10

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

Any long journey we take is usually done in our 35' MC5A Greyhound conversion. It is 28,000 pounds with a four speed manual with no syncros. It is much more fatiguing to operate than any airplane I have owned. But when I get tired I just stop and lay down on the bed for a nap. :tired:

11. Dec 9, 2009 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

So do the Northwest pilots! :gig:

12. Dec 11, 2009 #12

bob.shea

bob.shea

bob.shea

I drive about 200 miles a day doing service work in N. IL. I won't think twice about driving a couple of hours to do something I like. I am all smiles after a hour of flying, but I just soloed. I look forward to flying even on the real windy days, I just love the feel of being in the air.

13. Dec 13, 2009 #13

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I would say flying makes me more fatigued, mainly because you are multi-tasking alot more....Watching instruments, constantly checking compass heading, maintaining altitude, monitoring the radios, VOR indicator, etc, all leads me to more fatigue. I still love it however.

14. Dec 13, 2009 #14

bob.shea

bob.shea

bob.shea

I went out today, after they plowed the snow off of runway 18. once the snow comes in we are down to 1 runway out of 3.
    The winds aloft jumping to 40 mph, gound is snow covered, a good day to go out with my instructer and practice ground manuvers, very hard just to fly level, but you got to be able to handle it, tried three landings slipping it in, I prefer to crab but rules are rules I got one of three on 1 wheel the others all hit on 3 wheels. But for the first time I was spent when I called it quits for the day. Took a couple of deep breaths once I shut it down. but at the same time it was a great challenge,
    it was probably the strongest winds I have flown in ( ground level was not as bad as 2000 agl ) but I am a firm believer that you must train for it because someday you can be stuck in it. So for the first time in my very short flying career I was stressed when I was done. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE