Tire ratings question...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

DarylP

Hi everyone...
Man....I have not been on this forum in a long time. However, I have question that I know you guys can answer. I recently purchased a small tire, a Ton-Keep 4.00-6 nylon tire that I mounted on a Azusa Tri Star rim. The tire says that it is not rated "for highway use". Is that because it is a 2 ply tire? I know this is a nylon tire, but I have seen these flown on ultralights that are doing a long of fast touch and goes. So what makes a tire not for highway use?

Thanks
DarylP :think:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sustained travel at highway speeds causes the tire to heat up. Touch and goes at 30 mph is not the same as hours at 70 mph. The "highway use" rating may also be a DOT approval kind of thing.

Dana

DarylP

Thanks.....but why do they not give it a DOT code?

Vipor_GG

That would cost more $$$. Not sure about now, but in the past mobile home tires had not for highway use on them. They did fine on the road, but they didn't travel very fast or very far and were only used once. Now the tires and axles are removed and reused many times so this may have changed.

DarylP

Thanks...
I got to thinking and wondered why bicycle tires do not have a DOT rating, and found out that they are not required to meet DOT. Same thing for the smaller tires...?
In the USA bicycles are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commision (C.P.S.C.).
The tire I bought was the Ton_Keep TK207, made in Vietnam, and is sold to ultralight pilots. I emailed TonKeep and they said that it is a wheelbarrow tire. They also said that the DOT does not regulate low speed tires. Now what constitutes low speed I have yet to find out.

Thanks to those of you that replied...
Daryl

Matt G.

I want to say "low speed" means less than 25 mph, but I don't have anything to validate that. I may have seen it on the side of a farm implement tire...

TFF

DOT tyres conform to a government saftey road specification for load, speed, water plaining, grip and so on. That tire does not. How fast does your lawn mower go?

delta

I'm seriously thinking about using some quad tires. I don't believe they're dot rated but are still allowed on the roads in some states.

DarylP

This is actually for a trailer that I am building that will be towed behind a mountain bike. It will mostly be used on rails-to-trails, but I may have to ride a highway once in awhile. For the most part, I will hardly go over 15mph, but if I were to go on the highway I could technically hit say 35 mph for a short time. The TonKeep seemed to be as well constructed as any bicycle tire, with a equal ply rating, and I have gone 35 mph on those with no problem. The TriStar rim is very well made and I cannot see that being a problem. I came here to ask because there are ultralight pilots here, and weight is an issue. The TonKeep weighs 2 pounds and will be used with a tube and slime. I have only found one other tire that could work for what I need, and it is 4 lbs and hard as stone. I seriously doubt that any officer would pull me over, but I still wanted to explore possibilities.

Thanks again....

Turd Ferguson

This is actually for a trailer that I am building that will be towed behind a mountain bike. It will mostly be used on rails-to-trails, but I may have to ride a highway once in awhile. For the most part, I will hardly go over 15mph, but if I were to go on the highway I could technically hit say 35 mph for a short time. The TonKeep seemed to be as well constructed as any bicycle tire, with a equal ply rating, and I have gone 35 mph on those with no problem. The TriStar rim is very well made and I cannot see that being a problem. I came here to ask because there are ultralight pilots here, and weight is an issue. The TonKeep weighs 2 pounds and will be used with a tube and slime. I have only found one other tire that could work for what I need, and it is 4 lbs and hard as stone. I seriously doubt that any officer would pull me over, but I still wanted to explore possibilities.

Thanks again....
DOT ratings would only be applicable to trailers that are licensed or otherwise regulated for street use.

Are there any laws governing bicycle trailers in your state? If not, I doubt tire standards apply. In fact, the only safety standards for bicycle trailers I am aware of is ASTM F1975 - 09, Standard Specification for Nonpowered Bicycle Trailers Designed for Human Passengers. That wouldn't really apply to homebuilt bicycle trailer.

DarylP

DOT ratings would only be applicable to trailers that are licensed or otherwise regulated for street use.

Are there any laws governing bicycle trailers in your state? If not, I doubt tire standards apply. In fact, the only safety standards for bicycle trailers I am aware of is ASTM F1975 - 09, Standard Specification for Nonpowered Bicycle Trailers Designed for Human Passengers. That wouldn't really apply to homebuilt bicycle trailer.
THANKS....

Latest posts

Group Builder