Tim Lunceford's Centerwing Heath

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Flivverflyer

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. What an airplane! Comparable to a Minimax in horsepower and overall size, but a totally different beastie. I'd have to drink some fortified testosterone extract to rummy up to this one. Brave men, these racing pilots!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Despite the poor visibility for landing and takeoff, there is something very appealing about a small mid-wing airplane. This clipped-wing special might be a handful but I expect the stock long-wing version was very docile.

heath center wing ad Pop Mech Dec 1932.png

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful! Looks like the 25 hour valve adjustment the A-40 required really wasn't a big deal with everything out in the open.

I'd have to paint a tiny modern Heathkit logo on it somewhere though, just to mess with people's minds...

TFF

I always love Heath airplanes, but isn’t the mid wing the one that took out Mr. Heath? They were the original Heath Kit.

Tiger Tim

I wonder what the issue was with the low wing. Apart from worry over the wing struts buckling or maybe screwing with airflow over the wing, it looks lovely.

TFF

Ok. I knew it was one of them. That’s why Spezio had a mandatory service bulletin to add the jury struts. The low angle of the original mid wing could potentially do the same in light negative G. In the early 20s there were a couple of designs mistakes like that. One took about five with it. One reason the wires on the Flybaby and the struts on the MiniMax go to the wheel, for the angle.

billyvray

Also, I wonder if the struts were just retasked from the below-the-wing struts on high wing versions.....Tension and compression are not the same in a loaded tube - very different design decisions.