TIG Welders

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by HeliDev, Dec 19, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1

HeliDev

HeliDev

HeliDev

Hey Guys, Im thinking of buying a TIG to suppliment my old MIG.
    I was told that a TIG can be used as a light plasma torch, but have been unable to get any sort of conformation on it.
    Does anyone have experience with this?
    What is the proceedure to use the TIG in this way?
    Will a DC TIG do it?
    Any help appreciated.

2. Dec 19, 2004 #2

pilot103

pilot103

pilot103

Are you talking about a cutting or welding torch? I'm a certified welder with 25 years experience. I have used large industrial plasma welders that can also tig weld. I have never seen a tig used to cut . I guess it might be possible to get a cutting atachment to go on a tig power supply but I have never seen one.

3. Dec 21, 2004 #3

HeliDev

HeliDev

HeliDev

Thanx. Its funny I have been asking people that for about a month and havent been able to get a straight answer, and in the last couple of days Ive finnally been able to find a few people who know.
    Im looking at getting a TIG and plasma cutter, I was just trying to get out of it a bit cheaper.

4. Jan 26, 2005 #4

snoopy

snoopy

snoopy

Well, I suppose you could use a Tig to melt thin sheet metal. but I really don't think it would be the best way to do it. Plasma cutters use compressed air in addition to the arc to cut the metal. Plasma welders are VERY expensive so I think you might want to look around for a nice used Tig and plasma cutter. I bought a used Miller 351 Syncrowave with all the bells and whistles and a Coolmate 3 for $2700 and sold my older Miller 250 Dialarc for $1500.
    Jim

5. Mar 1, 2005 #5

Bob Kelly

Bob Kelly

Bob Kelly

I dunno if it has any relivance here but i have cut thick steel with a plane o'l lincon 225 amp ac/dc stick welder before ....
    i just turned the thing to the highest setting and attached a airhose nosel to the stinger handle .... pointed at the welding rod tip ....
    strike an arc and get the metal hot and then press the air trigger ... its nasty ...its messy it even hurts .... but with practice you can cut quite thick steel with this method .....
    just have alot of bactine handy fer dem burns !

for what its worth ! <grin>

Bob...

6. Mar 2, 2005 #6

Sonnyj

Sonnyj

Sonnyj

Welding Options

Hiya Helidev
    I am another one of those long time welder's.I reckon it depends on how much work you want to turn out,just small projects, I dont know if it's worth the expence.I use an oxy.astl.torch for welding all of my 4130,and I I use a band saw with a fine tooth blade[32 teeth per inch] I also use a joint jigger to form the ends of the tubes.
    With a little practice you get fairly acurate.You can get a video tap from EAA on welding 4130.It is a little slower,but this method has been used sence day one.
    Just my 2 cents Sonny