tig welder set up

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by jany77, Jan 2, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1

jany77

jany77

jany77

can anyone recomend where i can buy some affordable tig set up which will run on 110-115 v ,local college offers tig welding class so i though instead of learn to use oxyacetylene welding why not tig thank you

2. Jan 2, 2012 #2

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

In the background of this video, on the table just in front of the blue gas bottle, is a tiny shoebox sized unit that looks sort of very light greenish/beige color. That is the welder he is using. It's an inverter stick welder from Harbor Freight with a tig torch adapted to it. There is no high frequency start or foot pedal but as you can see it is possible to do nice welds with this and it is probably the least expensive way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #3

Monty

Monty

Monty

I have a nice miller square wave tig. Gas welding is more versatile. Tig can be a PITA. If you are going to do clusters, you will need an assortment of exotic gas lenses, small torches, etc. You will need to work out your process and technique. I've done both, and both have tradeoffs, overall....go gas.

YMMV

4. Jan 2, 2012 #4

jany77

jany77

jany77

thank you guys for reply ill go probably with gas then ,my fuselage uses lot of small size tubing from 1/4 to 1/2 and 0.035 wall ,i have never welded before so i better ask before i go ahead and buy some equipment

5. Jan 2, 2012 #5

base363

base363

base363

I spent allot of time trying to figure out what I would go with at home, and ended up buying a Lincoln TIG 185. I have never regretted it. In my opinion, TIG is much easier and faster than Gas. You can start, stop and control the puddle at ease. The time it takes to set-up you GAS flame and the amount of heat required on bigger clusters is just too much for me. I have a GAS rig with a MECO torch, and only use it occasionally. I’ve never used anything but a #5 cup, even with tight clusters. (no gas lens) You can stick the tungstun out a long way, and still get good gas coverage. If needed, with a little aluminum foil, you can still get good coverage even in deep spots.

6. Jan 3, 2012 #6

jany77

jany77

jany77

im sure the lincoln is nice tig welder but for that amount of money i can hire prefessional welder to do the job ,my idea if i want to spend that much will be do the tack welds and then hire some profesional do the rest ,but id like to do that from start to end my self i found henrob torch with both cylinders in local craigslist for 350$ it seems cheaper than new unit and as it say very little use so im thinking about buy it ,anyone here use henrob torch before

7. Jan 3, 2012 #7

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

8. Jan 3, 2012 #8

base363

base363

base363

If you are considering the Henrob, I would also look at the Meco Midget. Very nice torch that is much smaller than the Henrob. The controls are up front, so you can adjust the flame as you weld. I have never used the Henrob, but it's size is something I have heard can be troublesome in tight spots.

Here is the TM technologies web page that sells them.

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php

This is also one on e-bay right now.

meco MIDGET LIKE TORCH ONLY WITH pipe and ONE TIP | eBay

9. Jan 7, 2012 #9

jany77

jany77

jany77

that eastwood tig welder is somethink i was looking for ,thank you for the link ,the video made the decision even easyier ,as i sad i never welded before and im kinda worried about using gas ,i know its probably only practise but i still think that tig is better

10. Jan 7, 2012 #10

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Also, if you DO go with gas, BEFORE handing over any money, confirm with your local gas supplier that these are bonafide "owner" bottles. A lot of Craigslist bottles are rented/leased and you cannot get refills except from the lessor.
    (TIG is MUCH easier/faster/funner)
    Gary

11. Jan 9, 2012 #11

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

Jany, The good thing about Eastwood is that they stand behind their tools. For the money, it's a very good deal. I am probably going to pick one up after I complete my welding class in May
    Marty

12. Jan 9, 2012 #12

cklskypilot

cklskypilot

cklskypilot

Good morning just a thought I have been a welder\ fab, machanic most of my life. now I am retired. most of all of my tools were bought with one thing in mine. If I build it or repair it my self the money I save will pay for that needed tool. I do have a HF. tig wilder and it work good for a scratch start gas cooled machine. also have a bigger machine so I can weld alum. OK with that said I would start and build with gas and get a nice victor gas outfit. cost around 200.00 dollars and you will need tanks. You can rent them for around 12.00 a month if you want. All in all both the Tig and the gas outfit. will cost about the same but the gas torch outfit is more versatile and is a better choice both in your need to build the plane and as a needed shop tool. this was my sec. major tool for my shop the compressor was the first. happy building Chuck

13. Jan 21, 2012 #13

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

The new Miller diversion 185 hit the market about a year and a half ago. It operates on 110/220. priced in the 1700 dollar range. I bought one after having had my chinese junk repaired twice. I should have bought a miller in the first place. It does everything I ask of it. The cart was the first project with my new toy. Note the diamond plate for the eye catching appeal.

Jim

100_3279.jpg

14. Jan 22, 2012 #14

dreamcatcher43

dreamcatcher43

dreamcatcher43

Well, I have both. Gas has its place as does TIG. I generally do far more welding with the TIG and just heat stuff up with the torch. The cost of the tool should not be considered as a part of the cost of the project. Tools always translate to other projects and have intrinsic value.

15. Jan 23, 2012 #15

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

Mr. dreamcatcher43 is right. I learned the hard way to buy the best tools I can afford the first time around. They will last a good many years to come.
    I too have both sets. Did all the welding on the fuse, gear legs and tail pieces with tig and stress relieved with the OA set. I can OA weld if the material is thick enough, but on the thin wall tubing after the first hole I put the torch down and slowly backed away. That was just practice. smile

16. Jan 29, 2012 #16

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

Banned

Now you need a MIG welder too... It's easier to Tack with...

OK... My TIG with EVERYTHING came to $4700.00

Notice I'm not using the Foot Pedal... I can switch to a momentary switch...

It also has Pulse and Sequencer...

Water cooler Miller Syncrowave 250 ( Industrial )

I already had my Torches , MIG and Portable Lincoln welder...

But Always wanted a GOOD TIG

Gotta Fly...

Attached Files:

17. Jan 29, 2012 #17

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

I hate telling another guy that his is bigger, but that'a a nice tig machine. Other than the amperage mine is all preset. The diversion 180 is'nt the most basic miller but it doesn't have alot of bells and whistles either. I do have a hobart handler 140 mig welder. It runs on 110/220 also. It sure makes fitting tubing by yourself a manageable task.

I still want that channel bender.

Jim

18. May 17, 2012 #18
    WESS is a 100% South Australian, family owned and operated business that strives to provide welding supplies and solutions to the SA welding community. We are South Australia’s largest independent dedicated supplier of welding equipment.

19. Oct 1, 2012 #19

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

There is no control like TIG control.

20. Oct 1, 2012 #20

revkev6

revkev6

revkev6

tig welding takes ALOT and I mean ALOT of practice. it takes good equipment, classes and consumables. if the only project you have to weld or ever thought of welding is this one, I would try to get it welded by a pro. the learning curve can be steep.