• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

TIG signal emmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Bear

Hello all, .. to my knowledge, this hasn't been discussed here. I'd appreciate hearing how any of you have dealt with this, please ..

Here's the situation .. I just picked up a used Lincoln Precision Tig 225, with plans on using it, in my garage. My neighbor's home, on my garage side, is only about 30' or so, from the garage.

Well, .. I, being a total novice to TIG, have just discovered, from the literature that came along, that TIG machines can or do cause interference with TVs, phones, and the like. Interesting, .. the former owner was selling it, because of his pacemaker, .. but, that didn't raise any flags with me, at that time. It appears like it's a 2-fold thing, in the form of a transmitted signal, where the cabling of the welder acts as an antenna (therefore possibly causing problems for my neighbor) transmitting into air, and the conducive aspect of this, that feeds into the home's wiring, where I would have to be watchful about my own household usage, and so on.

Someone who had interference problems mentioned that replacing his old style transformer welder to to a Miller Dynasty, cleared up his problem. Maybe, I will be that lucky, .. if not, though .. here's some suggestions what I've found ..

- Wrapping the ground cable around the torch cable, next to the welder side, for a few winds, for 2', or so.

- Or, a couple of suggestions about reducing high frequency, during welding, that I won't bother spelling out.

- Or, a chicken wire fence/shield that's well grounded, around the welder, and the work.

- Or, a second ground to the welder's chassis, if the grounding can be close, to the welder.

- Finally, .. or, ask the neighbor to turn off his TV & phone, and come over and help weld, haha.

So, .. I have yet to run out the 220V service, to my garage. I'd like to get this as much right as possible, the 1st time. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, everyone.

Back