TIG Filler for 4130…

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by dcstrng, Feb 27, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2014 #21

PixiePilot

PixiePilot

PixiePilot

I have used 1/16" ER80SD2 for 3 TIG welded Tube/Fabric projects. I am told this grade is what Cessna uses for 4130 fabrication. One advantage is the wire is usually available in straightened and cut lengths. I once prepared a tubular cruciform tensile test which failed the 1/2" diameter tube at 5,500 lbs tension and away from the welds themselves. Of course this type of test is prepared under optimum conditions, comfortably seated and rotate the part as necessary.

2. Aug 11, 2014 #22

aerometalworker

aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Pixie,
    Both Piper and Cessna use ER70s-2 or -6 on whatever little welding is left on their airframes, mostly engine mounts and a few brackets. Tensile testing on thin walled material is pretty much a waste of time. Unless you REALLY screw up, a weldment made even using RG-45 will fail in the annealed area of the tube. The weld fillet being so large compared to the tubing helps this. Some specific weldment designs might require higher strength fillets due to a design shortfall, however I have never considered this to be good practice for a homebuilt. What we are looking for in our aviation weldments is ductility and fatigue life, the 2 hardest things to test, but most influenced by our choice of welding technology and welding process.