• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thrust vectoring & plank/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

So I was playing around with the facet opal (Opel?) Plank this morning in cad.

1stdraft.png

An incorrect selection while trying to sketch in a prop ended up giving me a ducted fan.

And I started looking at it...

Looks a bit like the EADS Voltaire. Less the Vtail.
eads-voltair.jpg

This is the eurofighter typhoon thrust vectoring nozzle.

I've been playing with a similar system on an rc model lately. There's versions on thingiverse and grabcad if you want to play around.

Haven't played with mixing it on the elevator, but mixed on rudder and as a way to increase/reduce outlet diameter - it's got pretty impressive in the small scale so far.

The variable geometry allows some improved efficiency in the ducted/shrouded fan. Adding a similar system over the leading edge would even improve it more...

What's the possibility that the vectored thrust (and to some extent shrouded prop acting as a ring tail) would be adequate yaw control?

Vertical thrust adjustment would help trim, curious if it would help the landing intricacies of landing the plank.

There's been a bit of ducted fan on tails:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_University_XV-11_Marvel
800px-XV-11A_Marvel.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_University_XAZ-1_Marvelette
AZ-1_Marvelette.jpg

c44fcd5c677125797da9433cdc19f229.jpg

But they all still have the usual control surfaces.

Thoughts?

Back