• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Three surface Stall Maneuvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evanuel

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum but I've got a question that's been nagging at me.

I love the rutan quickie platform and while it's surely outdated, very quirky, and generally not a wonderful plane for anything but cheap range and speed i can't help but love it. It's the looks isnt it?

Anyway i also love aerobatics and one thing that's always dissapointed me about canard and tandem wing aircraft is their inability to perform stall maneuvers

As i see it there are two issues. The first is that they are control limited. The canard or front wing is set at a higher angle of incidence than the main wing so that when you pitch up the front wing will stall before the main wing. It's also more heavily loaded so once that front wing stalls it will pitch back down again. You do not have elevator authority to get the main wing to stall because the front wing stalls first and pitches you down.

The second issue is recovery. Let's say you were able to stall the main wing well that's a deep stall and it's unrecoverable because the front wing, the one that gives you pitch control, is stalled already, so you drop without the ability to recover.

However it would seem to me the only issue here is elevator authority and usability at high angles of attack. So would a three surface design retain elevator authority when the front wing stalls, and be able to continue pitching up to stall the main wing and then obviously be used to recover from the stall.

Could a three surface aircraft give a tandem wing the ability to perform stall maneuvers, or am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks,
Evanuel

Last edited:
Back