Quantcast

THREE ENGINE AIRCRAFT

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

That's a great photo.

NASA is now proposing n engine airplanes, for large values of n. I suppose it makes sense for little brushless motors. Seems like extra IC engines on a regular airplane would lead to more cooling and intersection drag. I wonder how many Cox .049's would take to make an RV-4 go? Of course you'd have to wash it down after every flight. ;-)

Speaking of multi engine aquatic aircraft, how about this one?:

MAN August 1938 cover illust.JPG

It looks frivolous, but Seversky actually took out a design patent on this thing.

It's actually a floatplane. The bottoms of the fuselages separate and extend as floats.

Of course it's hard to beat the Dornier X:
dornierxoverocean.jpg

I'd say the Caproni Ca.60 is getting there:
Caproni-Ca60-Noviplano-.jpg

Aerowerx

That looks like the RedBull one that hit a log in a water landing a few years back!

.. and another with three engines (look closely):gig:
Is that an engine? Doesn't look like one. I don't see the prop, and it is too close to the bottom of the fuselage for a prop anyway.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
That's a great photo.

NASA is now proposing n engine airplanes, for large values of n. I suppose it makes sense for little brushless motors. Seems like extra IC engines on a regular airplane would lead to more cooling and intersection drag. I wonder how many Cox .049's would take to make an RV-4 go? Of course you'd have to wash it down after every flight. ;-)

Speaking of multi engine aquatic aircraft, how about this one?:

View attachment 77315

It looks frivolous, but Seversky actually took out a design patent on this thing.

It's actually a floatplane. The bottoms of the fuselages separate and extend as floats.

Of course it's hard to beat the Dornier X:
View attachment 77316

I'd say the Caproni Ca.60 is getting there:
View attachment 77317
The Caproni obviously did not have enough engines, plenty of wings though.