Thread Drift

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
About the only place I ever see that is where some moron passed law that requires that the trucks use the right two lanes.
I get it what cars are afraid of trucks and cannot seem to drive normally around them.
BUT!
If you really believe that you need to restrict the trucks to two lanes restrict them to the left two lanes.
Think about it most places like Chicago and Atlanta where trucks are a big chunk of the traffic most of them are passing through and do not need to exit and enter 28 times.
Most of the trucks are not afraid to get in the left lane and run.
So it works out better the interstate trucks run like they got another state to get to and the cars don’t have to get through an inpenetrable wall of trucks to make an exit.
By the way if you’re the moron that wrote the right lane trucks law don’t make the mistake of restricting truck drivers to automatic transmissions if they take the test in an automatic transmission truck. Automatic transmissions are far more complicated than manual transmissions. If someone takes the test with a manual it might make more sense to restrict them but not really.

klaird

More often than not when I get pissed at a driver the car is a Subaru Prius

Pilot-34

I once heard a song about Subarus on a public radio show called car talk I always wanted to find out the name of it and who it was that sang it if I remember right it started out

“I never wanted a Subaru, but I’m driving one it’s true,,

speedracer

Lol you are doing great. !
I drove from Chicago to Phoenix and back last week I’d say about 50% of the cars were doing good…..

The left lane is not the travel lane and you should spend no more time in it than you absolutely have to.
In Oregon it's perfectly legal to pass in the right lane on 4 lane highways and I do that all the time. Now... across the state line in WA. that is illegal, but it's also illegal to be in the left lane unless you are passing. Bottom line - you can't block traffic (legally). Also, in OR. when I go to pass on the right 80% of the drivers will speed up but when I start coming around I AM coming around. 3-4 years ago I was passing a 4x4 pickup on the right that was going 5 MPH under the speed limit. He kept speeding up and so did I. He finally lost his nerve at 100 MPH. Good thing for me as I was only 6 MPH below the electronically governed shut off in my Prius.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I always though that Hondas were best used to fill potholes in I-95 from Maryland to NY. One per pothole, a bit of asphalt and patch is done, hole filled. I have to drive up to Philly on occasion, it makes flying look totally safe and easy. Even Ultralight flying, which friends keep telling me will kill me. Need new friends........

Derswede
That is precicely why I consider going east of the Mississippi the start of an emergency procedure. The only way I will go there is by air.

robertl

I always though that Hondas were best used to fill potholes in I-95 from Maryland to NY. One per pothole, a bit of asphalt and patch is done, hole filled. I have to drive up to Philly on occasion, it makes flying look totally safe and easy. Even Ultralight flying, which friends keep telling me will kill me. Need new friends........

Derswede
They fear what they can't understand and are afraid to experience it. When I was an Iron Worker, people would say, you're crazy, when I was cave diving, people would say, you're crazy, and when I was flying ultralights, people would say, you're crazy, and now when I fly my own Cessna 150, people will say, that's pretty cool ! Don't know where I'm going with this except to say, do what the hell you want to do, people will talk anyway!
Bob

Pilot-34

In Oregon it's perfectly legal to pass in the right lane on 4 lane highways and I do that all the time. Now... across the state line in WA. that is illegal, but it's also illegal to be in the left lane unless you are passing. Bottom line - you can't block traffic (legally). Also, in OR. when I go to pass on the right 80% of the drivers will speed up but when I start coming around I AM coming around. 3-4 years ago I was passing a 4x4 pickup on the right that was going 5 MPH under the speed limit. He kept speeding up and so did I. He finally lost his nerve at 100 MPH. Good thing for me as I was only 6 MPH below the electronically governed shut off in my Prius.
But you know what it makes you to pass on the right.

Might be legal but it doesn’t make it either right or smart.

Rhino

But you know what it makes you to pass on the right.

Might be legal but it doesn’t make it either right or smart.
Unfortunately it's often the only way. Apparently they no longer tech proper lane usage to new drivers. I had one kid absolutely insist recently that there was no such thing as a passing lane.

BJC

Unfortunately it's often the only way. Apparently they no longer tech proper lane usage to new drivers. I had one kid absolutely insist recently that there was no such thing as a passing lane.
Lots of “experienced” drivers around here. I call some of them “enforcers”, because they get in the left lane of a two or three or four lane road and drive 5 MPH below the speed limit.

Met a Florida State Patrol officer who planned to move to Michigan upon retirement, and drive up and down the left lane of the Interstate highways there at 40 MPH just to get even.

BJC

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
They fear what they can't understand and are afraid to experience it. When I was an Iron Worker, people would say, you're crazy, when I was cave diving, people would say, you're crazy, and when I was flying ultralights, people would say, you're crazy, and now when I fly my own Cessna 150, people will say, that's pretty cool ! Don't know where I'm going with this except to say, do what the hell you want to do, people will talk anyway!
Bob
Did you ever consider that they might be right! If not then there is a good chance that you are, according to some books I have read.

Just say'n. :)