Thread drift off topic etc

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Geraldc

I find I am getting really lost following some threads.
Would a feature that quotes the original poster on every reply help us to keep track?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I find I am getting really lost following some threads.
Would a feature that quotes the original poster on every reply help us to keep track?
This one is probably more on us moderators than anything else. We've let this run a little wild the last year or more. It's a tough balance, because you don't want to be the "topic schoolmarm," but the problem you've described genuinely exists. I've been away a lot the last year due to family and personal issues, our moderator team is down some members who have stopped participating regularly, and that leaves those few left with a lot of ground to cover.

Members gently reminding members to stay on-topic or open a new thread would be a big help.

FritzW

Log Member
A little thread drift can be interesting, like when someone gets a eureka moment while discussing the original topic. A lot of really interesting spin off threads have started that way.

Off topic posts are a whole nuther issue. If they pop up then go away, it's just part of internet life. But, on rare occasions, they can turn into a full blown hijacking. That's when the moderators need to step in.

TFF

A lot of these posts are conversional. Sometimes what is actually missed reading archived threads is there may be a parallel thread or one alluded to that are being missed. I probably read 50% of the threads, at least at the beginning; boy I need to get a life. Because of that, there can be a good percentage of crossover, running jokes, pondering that on one day all makes sense , but six months or a year, some context can be lost when threads spread out. This stuff is not text books. There is good nuggets for sure.

narfi

At least this isn't the chaos of an e-mail list. :confused:
I think maybe I am too young to use one of them.... I am subscribed to a couple, but they mostly just confuse me, and their archives are even worse.
Its like that kids travel game....

I am going on a picnic and I am taking an apple.
I am going on a picnic and I am taking an apple and some bacon.
I am going on a picnic and I am taking an apple and some bacon and cheese.
I am going on a picnic and I am taking an apple and some bacon and cheese and doughnuts.

I get a couple messages in and I cant even find any new content or what the point of the message is, some is in quotes, others bolded, but never consistently in any way that can easily be deciphered as to who is saying what or when.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
If you hit the reply button on any post it will be a quote in the reply.

If you hit a few posts before you reply, you will have those posts and can reply at the bottom or between each one.

And you can do a @Topaz (for example) for it to show who you are answering and giving them an alert that they have a message/reply

Tony Spezio

Not to start a new tread, you mention that E mail lists are a mess. I agree with this windows 10 it is a big mess.

litespeed

Back on topic- you guys just love rambling down garden paths.

The irony is delightful.

We need to decide if drifting off thread is considered a capital crime. To drift is fine, as long as it has some relevance and then gets back on topic, a lot of fine ideas and observations are made that way. Tangential thinking is the root of many a inspiration and innovation. Then a new thread should be created to continue such bursts of synaptic flow.

Hijacking a thread or steering it off course on purpose, are things that need to be moderated preferably by the individuals involved, thread posters can also speak up and this often works. We will have to call in the moderators at times but that is society in a nutshell.

We need to respect the Original posters thread- they started it and irrespective of our own view, should be respected. Yes, we should feel able to challenge ideas and bring our own perspective. We should feel free to express a viewpoint without fear of personal attack or ridicule. It also follows that we can not try to force our world view on others.

We can however always remember why we are here. We love flight and wish to soar above in a homebuilt aircraft. We help each other and spitball ideas- if you are not helping you need to consider why you are posting.

For our Moderators- tread lightly with a big stick.

Group Builder