Thoughts on folding or removable wings for keeping a plane at home

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by cluttonfred, Nov 2, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 15, 2019 #81

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

On the trailer end...we built a boat trailer, angle iron construction, the old man was too cheap to buy one for the boat he got a deal on (no trailer, cheap price, cheap child labor and an old tombstone arc welder). A set of mobile home axles, welded it up, then built a steel frame that bolted across the frame of the trailer in the front. Two ramp boards to allow the plane to roll up the the frame which the wheels would sit in, a plate on the back to secure the tailwheel. Plane was hauled nose first with the tail feathers still on, we first used it with an UltraSport we had restored. Wings were to be strapped beside the airframe, but if I remember correctly, we typically put the winds into the pickup bed instead. Strong trailer, easy to modify to whatever size plane you had. A couple of bolt positions for the wheel hold structure allowed us to move it a foot plus to adjust for different fuselage sizes. Held the boat just fine as well, 10 min to remove the wheel frame and it went back to being a boat trailer. Planning on doing the same thing on a small trailer I just snagged, should hold an ultralight with no problems. Just a thought, as I did not want to spend $5500 on a used 20' enclosed trailer, as I have one bay open in the garage. For me, transport is the toughest part.

Derswede

2. May 15, 2019 #82

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Is it better to stow wings leading edge up or trailing edge up?

3. May 15, 2019 #83

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Trailing edge up is better in almost all cases.

4. May 15, 2019 #84

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That is my preference but are there any substantial reasons. I do prefer to lift a wing by it's rounded nose rather than it's sharp trailing edge especially with wiggly bits free to move....but that is just a handling preference.

Properly secured, maybe nose up would be better for transport?

5. May 15, 2019 #85

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

When transporting a minimax when there is slightest chance of a shower wings should be stowed leading edge up, or with 100% weather cover. The open trailing edge allows water to run down in to the leading edge cell with no way to remove it. Have seen one wing destroyed indoors by a small leak in a garage roof.