Thoughts on folding or removable wings for keeping a plane at home

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by cluttonfred, Nov 2, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 5, 2017 #61

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Indeed. :)

Your points are taken. I'm no apologist for this particular configuration--I happen not to be using it on my own project--although I would be far more concerned if these planes were falling out of the sky, which they are not so far.

2. Nov 5, 2017 #62

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

No worries. I'm not saying that it can't be done. Rather that it introduces quite a few potential issues, especially down the road as time goes by. Once gas-cap seals start to age and harden, for example, they're much more likely to leak. That then becomes another critical maintenance item.

I wouldn't put fuel in folding wings, myself. Obviously other people feel differently.

gtae07 and mcrae0104 like this.
  3. Nov 12, 2017 #63

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

To me this screams for you building an HP24 with a FES with another partner to cut cost and hours in half.

Build and fly in a reasonable amount of time. Converting the system to hybrid (to cover the distance at decent speeds) and building a one-man assembly tool for a trailer makes for do-able design/build projects.

I don't own any HP-24 related stock ;)

BoKu and delta like this.
  4. Nov 12, 2017 #64

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Crazy man, crazy LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  5. Nov 12, 2017 #65

Winginit

Winginit

Winginit

I think the first thing to consider is choice of airplane to meet the desired ease of transport and assembly. Many non folding wing airplanes can be modified so that their wings are easily folded, so that opens up the possibilities. When doing so, the builder must also consider the width of the airplanes tail, as some of them exceed legal requirements for trailering. From my perspective, the choice of folding wings would also have to be easily accomplished as opposed to some of the ones which take quite a bit of time and effort. Removable wings might work for some people, but I don't think they are worth the effort and time involved....unless the builder has no other possible option. So at the very beginning the builder must choose an airplane with wings that fold and fold easily in order to simplify and quicken the ready to fly process. That should be requirement No.1

Next is the consideration of where and how to store it. Again, its a fact of life that if you store it at an airport there will be some costs involved.....but you wouldn't need a trailer. So thats another choice to be made.

If you want some weather protection, whether at home or (possibly) at the airport you can always purchase one of the easily erected metal carport thingys. A slightly larger one could even protect your car. You can get them with open sides or sides that run to the ground. OR, you could build an enclosed trailer rather than an open trailer.

Last is the trailer consideration itself. I have seen some pretty impressive trailers that house airplanes, with probably quite a bit of expense involved. It really doesn't have to be that way if a builder makes good choices. A simple open trailer is easy and inexpensive to make. I saw this at Sun N Fun many years ago. I always thought that this guy was pretty ingenuious (?) errr clever. I'm offering this as an ideal way for someone to store,transport,and fly cheaply....assemble quickly and easily, and then trailer it home to your metal carport.

Kitfox Trailer 001.jpg Carport.jpg https://www.ebay.com/i/162581392398?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

6. Nov 12, 2017 #66

Pops

Pops

Pops

I know a man that lives about 30 miles away that has a Kit-Fox and trailers it to a county airport for the weekends when he has time to fly and trailers it back home and keeps it in a garage. Been doing this for several years. He flies into my place often with the KF. Works out good for him.

7. Nov 12, 2017 #67

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

So many difficult problems. And forced solutions. I've dealt with many/most of the situations mentioned so do have some personal experience trying to force a solution and finally reached the conclusion that if I gotta force it then maybe/probably it wasn't meant to be.
    Having to deal with what Topaz and similar others do I'd declare my personal practical limit exceeded and take KISS to the ultimate. Ouit Flying!! No more worries.
    And that from one whose whole life has been aviation.
    I'd just ride motorcycles; all we gotta worry about there is constant threat of death or maiming. Much easier to deal with than the SOCAL mess. LOL
    Good luck Topaz and you other similar guys.

8. Nov 12, 2017 #68

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you google AV-36 you can find a few pics of them being stored on their nose sort of like Cubs were before they got valuable. On the -36 you could unhook the rudders and fold them against the trailing edge and take off the nosecone. Shortened it up without heavy lifting.

9. May 9, 2019 #69

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Anyone here actually own or design an actual folding wing? I'm going to in a year or so. Wouldn't mind having a set of eyes on my work to check loads and help figure out things like control connections and practical stuff. If you are proficient in draughtsman and know how to draw aircraft assemblies...and/or if you know Solidworks very well then we can be on the same page. My wing is strut-braced, all AL and currently not folding. PM me if you are interested in collaborating. Otherwise....sorry for hijacking the thread.

BoKu likes this.
  10. May 13, 2019 #70

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Here's how I intend to do it on my Thruster ultralight.

Folding wing 1.jpg Folding wing 2.jpg Folding wing 3.jpg Folding wing 4.jpg

11. May 13, 2019 #71

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I am hoping to have the weight to fold my wings like a Fairey Firefly:

fairey_firefly_folding_wings_2_by_sabot03196_d4zj0uy-fullview.jpg

I haven't found a detail of the folding mechanism, but I believe that it is a simple angled hinge like Grumman used.

And here's some Grumman linkages to go with that.

12. May 13, 2019 #72

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I just had a brilliant idea.

What if, like, all the local people who wanted to fly, got together, and like bought some local field, mowed it into a grass strip airport, and like for a small yearly membership fee of $40 or so, could park their airplane on the side of the grass strip year round out of the way. In a tent or something, or your container or trailer or whatever. No hanger fees.

We could call the club like EAA or something, for Easy Airport Access.

What, it's been done, and it don't work like that?
    What's going on there then...

~

Woodenwings: you don't need to have your folding mechanism bear any flight load... locate it it in the middle of the wing, and just use it to pull out a few inches and rotate on during folding and support the weight of that end of the wing. Put your bolts through on your wing where you normally would attach them with no changes.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  13. May 13, 2019 #73

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

Woodenwings

14. May 13, 2019 #74

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

15. May 14, 2019 #75

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

19EEA71D-7EC9-48EB-8956-47446E2E98EB.jpeg Folding wings like on the most fleas, a shortened fuselage of the Ranger, and a trailing link landing gear, and a Controlwing

16. May 14, 2019 #76

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

^^^^ This here is correct in my book too. Have some sort of a storage-only hinge for folding the wings that has nothing to do with the wing attach and flight loads.

17. May 14, 2019 #77

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

the BD-4 has an optional folding wing mechanism that is a tube with a universal joint that slides in a tube in the fusalage. Is additional to the mounting points and does not bear any load. Very simple. You pull the wing out a bit and rotate it then fold it back. Not many people actually made it.

18. May 14, 2019 #78

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

19. May 14, 2019 #79

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

So
    —————————————————————————
    Sounds like you want something similar to Mr. deskpilot, Bede 4 and the Aerodyne Icon.
    Icon was originally intended to have an electrically powered wing-fold mechanism, but that proved too heavy.
    With a tractor propeller(s) electric wing-fold would be ideal for water-taxiing into narrow berths at marinas.
    One - structural advantage - of the Aerodyne Icon is that its outer (D leading edge) wing spars overlap the centre section by a metre (yard) or so, spreading attachment points, reducing point-loading on (flight) structural fittings, etc.
    Icon’s over-lapping (D leading edge) spars remind us of the over-lapping (trailing edge) spars on Fairey Firefly. The primary reason Firefly had such long rear spars was the complex hinge mechanism needed to slide Youngman flaps aft, then deflect them down for landing.

20. May 15, 2019 #80

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Correct. My system is non load bearing in flight, only when the struts are disconnected and the wing pulled out of its normal locked location. It just has to hold the full weight of the wing.