Thoughts on CAP Membership?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aviatrix, Jul 12, 2005.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Civil Air Patrol?

I'm considering joining to prepare for the AFROTC when I make it to the University of Iowa next fall.

I've heard that CAP service goes onto your service record, so it would appear upon my entrance into the Air Force?

Thank in advance.

2. Jul 13, 2005 #2

orion

orion

orion

Great organization - highly recommend participation.

I was a memeber as a cadet and later as an officer in California and here in Washington. CAP is a civilian arm of the US Air Force - early on the military aspect was being emphasized, especially in the training of the cadets. It was my first real immersion into the military experience (which to me was a lot of fun) and included training such as drill, search-and-rescue and orienteering.

Being an observer during times of searches, it was also my first experiences of regular flying. In my case this was a lot of fun since our squadron had T-34s for the search function.

Today though the military aspect is being somewhat toned down a bit and the curriculum seems to be more civilian, although the cadets and staff still often show up in umiform. The flying is still the part that most are attracted to but today this is done mostly in planes that are owned by the staff members.

And you're right, being a member of CAP does go on your record and is a benefit, epsecially from the standpoint of some of the training you receive. But to get the most benefit, it is important to take the commitment seriously.

3. Jul 13, 2005 #3

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I was a Cadet once upon a time. Green River Composite Squadron, Kent Washington. Had a great time and learned a ton about Aviation and the military in general. Even got to Solo a glider at age 15 through the CAP glider encampment program. Not many opportunities for a young kid to wake up every day, put on a flight suit, and fly every day for two weeks. It really boosted my confidence.

I would highly recommend CAP, especially for younger kids. I'm not sure how participation will affect you're military career though. As an Army Aviator I can say confidently that it is not taken into consideration at all except on your application resume. I think it does show that you have more than a passing interest in Aviation that may give you an edge over those you are competing with for acceptance into the flight program. Being an active member of my local EAA chapter was another thing that I'm sure made my application stand out from my competitors.

Anyway, whether it advances your career or not, it's still a good program.

Jake

4. Jul 13, 2005 #4

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

I'm a tad old to be a cadet

Oh, the things I wish I knew at 17.....

Anyways, yes, I plan on doing the absolute best I possibly can in the CAP, and hopefully next year, the AFROTC.

I figure even if I do not make it into the Air Force, I will obtain some serious experience in the meantime, as well as my 4 year degree.

Thank you both for the info and feedback.

5. Jul 13, 2005 #5

Craig

Craig

Craig

CAP

Aviatrix -
    I am a former squadron commander (Sebring, FL) in CAP - and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. This was in 80-81, so it is dated a few years.
    Our cadets who had acheived a certain rank (believe it was sargeant) were able to geain credit on their basic training at Lackland, and came out as E-3, instead of E-2. A bit of a jump on their competition in the ranks.
    We enjoyed many weekends of orienteering, etc., and had one "find" to our credit.
    Nicest part was when we went to camp at Tyndall AFB - I was treated just as a regular AF Capt. was treated, and got some serious time in some serious jets. First time over the Mach! Found that, like sailplanes, jets got no torque - just a lot more oomph!

Go for it - you'll meet some nice people.

6. Sep 28, 2005 #6

Nozzlejocky

Nozzlejocky

Nozzlejocky

Glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about this as well. I have to do some more research, but I'm pretty sure there is a squadron at my home airport.

7. Sep 28, 2005 #7

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Aviatrix

I'm trying to save up the money myself.

Since the CAP cannot provide "primary" flight instruction I may wait until I obtain my Sport Pilot License.

From everything I've seen, CAP Membership looks to be a wonderful thing.