Thorp T-18

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Whoever this guy is he very did a great job with a full review of the airplane. You can tell he’s a enthusiastic fan of the Thorp and loves his.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
He is Phil Mandell. Really nice guy. I had breakfast with him this past Friday.

BJC
He really seems like a nice fella, he’s a natural behind a camera! Very fun to watch doing this review.

You must be pretty familiar with his Thorp? Looks like a really nice one!

Marc Bourget

Riggerrob,

John Thorp's instruction on a flight profile when performing a V Dive series was to start with a dive to a speed, say, 10 MPH above the test speed, pull up and apply the excitation (for example, left stick pulse), as the aircraft slows through the test speed. IIRC, he tested at 5 MPH increments.

During this explanation, I asked about compound excitations, for example, a combination of left stick and aft stick, or a stick input and rudder input. He said that would be more thorough but had never considered that profile.

At the time, electronic sensing of accelerations in the Stabilator was fairly basis.

John tested the Stabilator with (I believe) an 8 channel analog data acquisition system in conjunction with Gene Turner (T-40). It was bulky, heavy and required downloading and analysis after landing

Today's laptops and data acquisition boards and sensors would add greatly to the ability to sense, record and predict incipient flutter in real-time. I haven't investigated if anyone has a working program that provides that analysis.

Onward and upward

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
John tested the Stabilator with (I believe) an 8 channel analog data acquisition system in conjunction with Gene Turner (T-40). It was bulky, heavy and required downloading and analysis after landing
Early in my career, I used an 8 channel tape recorder to acquire 6 axis of sea keeping data from a stabilized platform with spinning mass gyros. Between the platform, the 400 hz power supply for it, and the recorder, I think this setup weighed more than I did at the time (170#). I feed it into a whole 19 inch rack of HP signal conditioners and a fft processor. An hour of data meant a month of data reduction, more or less. Better than using a multi-channel strip chart recorder, the only other alternative at the time.

=====================================

Sport Aviation ran a multi-month series of articles by John on how to do matched hole tooling with a few strips of aluminum and a Roper-Whitney punch. Pete Garrison built one of the wings for the original Melmoth matched hole, and the other jigged and conventionally drilled in place, and the jig-less, matched hole wing was straighter.