Thorp T-18

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just posting this for fun. It’s not often we see great photos of a Thorp T-18. This was just posted on a Facebook group and I thought WOW! what a great shot of a neat airplane! I don’t know Jack squat about aluminum sheet metal but I believe these are somewhat simple to build? Pop riveted? Going from memory I’m probably wrong. Anyhow, hope you like this it sure is a looker!

Photo credit: Scott Stine. Owner is Lee Walton in Olney Illinois.
8F070A75-542B-4505-AD5B-5C5271E80E87.jpeg

Wanttaja

Solid rivets, matched hole construction. Some real smarts went into the construction process. The cranked wing isn't merely for aerodynamics; each section is the width of a sheet of aluminum so you don't have to make a long cut, just wrap the sheet around the ribs.

Knew a guy who built one using a hammer as a rivet gun, and a long bar of solder to shape the aluminum.

Great as used airplanes. You get performance almost equal to an RV-6 for about a third of the price. They're a little cramped inside, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If anyone here is ready to build, let me know. I have a set of plans.

BJC
I have no interest on the plans for building but I’m curious. Are they decent plans as far as aluminum airplanes go? I never hear anything about this airplane soI have no idea. Hand drawn?CAD?

scramjetter

It's a beautiful airplane. The S-18 was a Thorp sanctioned widened variant with a different airfoil. The outer dihedral on the S-18 starts further inboard. Like Ron said, it's kind of cozy inside.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Excellent plans hand drawn to typical (of the time) production standards. All parts are shown. Possibly could be a little intimidating at first glance to someone whose only experience is assembling a kit.

The matched hole technique is ingenious.

[Edit: The set that I have is the S-18. That is an improved T-18. I gave away the T-18 plans earlier. I personally like the S-18 better. S drew the plans for T.]
6A8DDA1B-145A-4511-9260-FEA4A7E77364.jpeg

BJC

Last edited:

TFF

Designed for the homebuilders. Straight wing center keeps the builder from having to build a complex center section.

When it came out the only thing comparable was the Midget Mustang single seat. RV 3 was another ten years away, give or take. Much easier to make. It’s what all the O-290Gs were
invented for.

It is a hot plane, a Cub guy will have to step up. A Bonanza guy, not so much. But given original time it came out, the The builders were Cub fliers and that surprise them. A lot of homebuilts were like that. Today training is better in that respect. Lots of avenues for type training.

I have an 8 ft brake but I don’t have any aluminum and my RV buddy moved away. I would have to go buy a rivet squeezer since I can’t borrow his.

It’s usually the second type I seek my first day at Oshkosh. First Tailwinds, second T-18s, third Falcos. Biplanes are a different attention level. Usually the T-18s are north of the Tailwinds and the Falcos are south. I have to back track. Miss it.

BJC

HBA Supporter
They are solid flush rivets so there's a couple extra steps at every hole.
Yup, that’s how everyone builds them, but the original concept per Thorp was pulled rivets, O-290 GPU, fixed pitch prop, open cylinder cowling and open cockpit. I’ve never seen one built that way.

My first ride in an HBA was in a T-18 at Rockford, circa 1966 or 1967.

[Edit: Back then, one could line up beside the runway and get a ride in the two seat homebuilts. Homebuilts and restored antiques (not “classics”) flew throughout the day, and there was no music or incessant shrieking of announcers.]

BJC

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Correct me if I’m wrong but In the museum on the wall there’s a famous airplane that flew around the world. Possibly 70’s/80’s? Red and white? I think it’s a T-18?

TFF

From what I have read, when Thorp first presented the T-18 concept, it was open cockpit and cowl. I want to say at an EAA meeting. I think he was wishy washy on it. A couple of weeks later someone who was at the meeting came up to him with a sketch with an enclosed cowl and bubble canopy and asked what he thought. Something said like “that’s what it needs. “ I think the guy ended up building the first one; building as drawings were drawn or requested when stumped. Nowadays people can’t decide if they need a -3 or a -4 rivet and call the factory.

Bill-Higdon

Solid rivets, matched hole construction. Some real smarts went into the construction process. The cranked wing isn't merely for aerodynamics; each section is the width of a sheet of aluminum so you don't have to make a long cut, just wrap the sheet around the ribs.

Knew a guy who built one using a hammer as a rivet gun, and a long bar of solder to shape the aluminum.

Great as used airplanes. You get performance almost equal to an RV-6 for about a third of the price. They're a little cramped inside, though.

Ron Wanttaja
Orinially it was US Shoe Pop rivets used for most of the structure