This tool could revolutionize scratchbuilding

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by Aluminum, Sep 8, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1

Aluminum

Aluminum

Aluminum

I didn't see Shaper Origin mentioned here on HBA yet:

https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/B2HKKH459

This is a hand-held CNC router that uses fiducial markers stuck to the piece being cut (think large wing skin) to position the cutting bit with high precision over an area of any size. It took me 14 years to complete an old-school aluminum kit--no matched holes or CNC punches--so the first thing that came to mind was, Hey, I could make my own matched holes!

I can envision many uses for wood and glass construction too. What would you use it for?

Here it is in the hands of a skilled maker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8GFpSCK6Jk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfmrvxB154w

2. Sep 8, 2016 #2

Orrem31

Orrem31

Orrem31

You joined today and posted an advertisement as your first post?

clanon likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #3

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Moderator Note: Moved to Supplier/Manufacturer Announcements. Even if the OP isn't the vendor, this post really belongs here.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #4

Aluminum

Aluminum

Aluminum

Orrem31, I have been lurking here for a long time and tried joining twice months ago but the sign-up system was broken so I gave up.

Regarding the "advertisement" comment, I am not affiliated with the company. If you are referring to the referral code my link contains, you are of course free not to use it: there are many others you can find on youtube and on other maker forums. If that is "advertisement" and breaks rules of conduct here please accept my apologies.

5. Sep 8, 2016 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Not so much "breaking the rules", but just from a topical standpoint, "Supplier/Manufacturer Announcements" is the area where people would go looking for a post like this, so it's a better fit here. But if you want to buy everyone a beer in "recompense," we're always open to that. :gig:

6. Sep 8, 2016 #6

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

$1499??

I bought my table saw for less than half that.

7. Sep 8, 2016 #7

Aluminum

Aluminum

Aluminum

Topaz, these first two inane comments illustrate why I only read the "new technology" forum and never this "manufacturer announcements" one. I bet I'm not the only one. By moving the thread here you are depriving most folks who would have actual constructive feedback from this discussion. If removing my "referral code" would appease the gods and make it "not an advertisement" I'm all in favor.

Since I'm now flying, strictly non-alcoholic recompense is in order. Hit me up for cranberry juice when in NorCal. ;)

8. Sep 8, 2016 #8

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

In fairness, most of our membership "browse" the forum by clicking the "new posts" button, and see all new posts as a result no matter where they've landed. No criticism of you if you don't do that, just saying that a post is just as likely to be seen by most members no matter where it's put. Our categorization by topic is mostly as a convenience for finding older material.

Done and done! :grin:

9. Sep 9, 2016 #9

Orrem31

Orrem31

Orrem31

Aluminum,

I apologize for my off the cuff first post "advertisement" remark. I'm a cynical and grumpy Yankee when it comes to new mouse traps. To give you an idea how backwards and low tech I can be I much prefer my ancient old Throatless Shear to patterns and router, it's slow, quiet, and makes me happy to use.

The compact size of the Shaper might lend itself to a group buy and passed(shipped) around among a number of builders. Similar to what Rainbow Aviation is encouraging folks to do with the EMG-6 DXF welding fixture kit.

Just food for thought.

-jeff

proppastie likes this.
  10. Sep 9, 2016 #10

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

Huh. A router with an autopilot. Who'd a thunk it.

11. Sep 9, 2016 #11

flyoz

flyoz

flyoz

Absolute amazing tool - it will revolutionize what can be achieved - thanks for the heads up Aluminum
    All it needs now is a Z axis !
    Flyoz

12. Sep 9, 2016 #12

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Appears it does have a Z axis stepper - of limited range. Developing software that can react fast enough, with the likely limited processing power, to compensate for the erratic human propulsion may not be so easy.

13. Sep 9, 2016 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

What I have not seen or understood yet is how the line or part is shown to the user during the cutting process, so the user knows where to "try" to push the tool. Is an image "projected" onto the material by the tool?

I have seen a router "grab" aluminum and try to throw the router and the aluminum across the room. I wonder how is this addressed with this tool?

Assuming that there is a reasonable answer to these concerns, the tool seems like a fantastic idea.

14. Sep 9, 2016 #14

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

So.. Applied Science has had one for months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8GFpSCK6Jk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfmrvxB154w His stuff is interesting in general.

This link is from Make: so expect it to be a bit salesy, I haven't watched this one yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAMzARLiNw

Diresta's stuff is always good, and it looks like they sent one to him too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ahfDFHo3g Diresta also has a conventional CNC router.

It's got a pretty beefy cpu in it, and does computer vision. It's got some built in processes, like "drill hole" and "make pocket". It can also take files you upload to it.

The only downsides I can see, are that it requires the fiducial tape, it requires your interaction, and has a rather high price tag. A bed type CNC can be allowed to operate with you "in the vicinity" instead of actually operating the machine. So this is more for one off, and creative tasks rather than production.

15. Sep 9, 2016 #15

Algoa

Algoa

Algoa

This doesn't seem like CNC to me... more like CNG, Computer Numerical Guidance. It appears that the device itself doesn't move around on it own at all, but that the router can move within the device an inch or so in any direction. It relies on the operator to push it around while keeping the onscreen cutting zone indicator 'between the ditches' of the video cut pattern the device worked out. The limited movement of the router itself allows it to take out any operator induced jitter; making a straight cut even if the device is moved 1/2" off course. Sort of like a combination of Google Maps and Steadycam.

16. Sep 9, 2016 #16

Aluminum

Aluminum

Aluminum

Clearly this will not replace an industrial CNC punch for large production runs, but that aircraft you can buy from Van's today. My thoughts were more along the lines of going from Autodesk/OpenFOAM model to completed airframe assemblies in a day--bolt it on and test fly. This tool can cut a 100 sqft wing skin and ribs with precision matched holes at a price point three orders of magnitude lower than a giant gantry mounted punch. Also, it can do thick extrusions and complex shapes, which would otherwise require another mill.

One idea the inventor mentioned was to mount a bigger version with plasma cutter on a forklift and drive it around to cut ship hulls. It requires some rethinking. :)

I can envision a business model where a designer would sell plans only that include cut files, perhaps encrypted and locked to one tool for IP protection, so a buyer would effectively scratch-build from raw materials but with little effort as the tool ensures precision and repeatability. That way the designer doesn't have to keep inventory, handle returns, etc. The buyer can replace damaged parts without waiting, rebuild in the future without worrying if the designer is still in business, and so on.

nerobro and Victor Bravo like this.