Quantcast

This RC has the potential to be a man carrying plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Nickathome

Never could understand why some people go to all the effort to build a huge toy airplane, when a small effort more could yield them something they could hop in and go.......To each his own I guess.

ultralajt

Never could understand why some people go to all the effort to build a huge toy airplane, when a small effort more could yield them something they could hop in and go.......To each his own I guess.
I disagree. Big RC model is not a "toy" anymore and it should be treated as a serious thing. Also a design and building process should not be left just to eyeballing or TLAR (That look almost right). Designing a big RC model is the cheapest way to test some of own ideas.

Regarding the staggered biplane from the video shown above , it was published pretty way back. A very similar Ultralight design (3 view drawing) I see once somwhere on the Internet. Cant find the URL right now.

Diference between really big RC model and man carrying thingy is primarily in their empty and flying mass. While RC model is balanced by its engine on the nose, it is not ballasted with a payload, while real aeroplane must carry a pilot. Pilot can rise weight up to over the 100% of the empty mass of the aeroplane (on the ultralghts). This changes the game completely as this mass influence much the structure and aerodynamics. So the same size RC model and man carrying plane even at the same layout will demand different structure (strength and weight as result) and will fly in two different speed ranges. If giant RC model will be designed for carrying additional mass (let say 90kg) then it will be at least four time or more expencive to build.

Mitja

Last edited:

Birdman100

...plus:

there is difference between something you have to put your life on, and a big model, regardless how beautiful, big and expensive that model is. If it crashes you are still there... So a much more relaxed approach and more room for experimenting and guessing you have building model even if it looks and behaves exactly as a "real" one

Nickathome

I disagree. Big RC model is not a "toy" anymore and it should be treated as a serious thing. Also a design and building process should not be left just to eyeballing or TLAR (That look almost right). Designing a big RC model is the cheapest way to test some of own ideas.

Regarding the staggered biplane from the video shown above , it was published pretty way back. A very similar Ultralight design (3 view drawing) I see once somwhere on the Internet. Cant find the URL right now.

Diference between really big RC model and man carrying thingy is primarily in their empty and flying mass. While RC model is balanced by its engine on the nose, it is not ballasted with a payload, while real aeroplane must carry a pilot. Pilot can rise weight up to over the 100% of the empty mass of the aeroplane (on the ultralghts). This changes the game completely as this mass influence much the structure and aerodynamics. So the same size RC model and man carrying plane even at the same layout will demand different structure (strength and weight as result) and will fly in two different speed ranges. If giant RC model will be designed for carrying additional mass (let say 90kg) then it will be at least four time or more expencive to build.

Mitja
I'm sorry friend but if its something you hand crank with an oven mit then fiddle with little joysticks on a radio and the plane flies away with you still on the ground, its a toy, period. I'm not trying to knock anyone who builds models, but it irks me when these guys fliy toys and then strut around and call themselves a pilot....I have to laugh. If you aint in it, you ain't sitting in it, you ain't a pilot. My kid flies a plane on his play station doesn't make him a pilot....

StarJar

I'm sorry friend but if its something you hand crank with an oven mit then fiddle with little joysticks on a radio and the plane flies away with you still on the ground, its a toy, period. I'm not trying to knock anyone who builds models, but it irks me when these guys fliy toys and then strut around and call themselves a pilot....I have to laugh. If you aint in it, you ain't sitting in it, you ain't a pilot. My kid flies a plane on his play station doesn't make him a pilot....
All that being said, we have discussed it on another thread and came to the general consensus that it takes more skill to fly an RC plane, than sitting in a real plane and flying it. Also an RC flyer without an attitude is probably more valuable, in life than, a 'real' pilot with one.

Having said that, I respect a pilot who is all business, because lives may depend on his decisions, but let's not put others in a silly light, just because they enjoy a less consequential avenue of flying airplanes.

henryk

RJW

I'm sorry friend but if its something you hand crank with an oven mit then fiddle with little joysticks on a radio and the plane flies away with you still on the ground, its a toy, period.
Another pointless, arbitrary definition. Aren’t EAB planes “toys”? Nobody needs an experimental plane to sow the crops or muck out the stalls. Why sneer at the RC guys? Don’t they also build their “toys” for “education and recreation”? Go find some other indefensible position to get mad about. What’s so hard about being nice?

Sorry about the rant.

Rob

Kingfisher

I have played with toy planes (meaning RC) since I was 15. When I got my PPL at 28, it confirmed all my assumptions about what it would be like to fly a "real" plane. None of the manoeuvring part of flying scared me in the least, as I knew exactly what to expect. When instructors talked about stalls and spins as if they were something scary, it just made me wonder why. A real plane is definitely easier to fly than a model plane, because you retain the same position with respect to the plane at all times (FPV).
With respect to the technology inside the toy planes, I would argue that an RC jet is far more sophisticated, and twice as fast as my full scale Citabria was.
You will be surprised how quickly your kid will learn the real thing...

StarJar

All that being said, we have discussed it on another thread and came to the general consensus that it takes more skill to fly an RC plane, than sitting in a real plane and flying it. Also an RC flyer without an attitude is probably more valuable, in life than, a 'real' pilot with one.

Having said that, I respect a pilot who is all business, because lives may depend on his decisions, but let's not put others in a silly light, just because they enjoy a less consequential avenue of flying airplanes.
To extend my comment, I'm not trying to cut Nicketome down to size, because I remember a time in my life where I felt exactly the same, and I remember a boss who I loathed, because he flew RC planes, and I had a PPL. But during that period of my life, I also lost a lot of friends, and brought some bad things on myself, which I could have avoided.
I was participating in a thread, awhile back, where we were discussing this, and one cat had a nice peice of advice. "Turn it on, and turn it off." .....Because when you do fly, you have to pretty much take charge, if things are going to go right. But to be that way all the time, can come off as abrasive to other people. I'm still learning about this myself.

ultralajt

Now you cranck me up!:mad2:
I dont know how much you know me from my posts here, but you could find out, that I am RC model builder, Paraglider, Hang Glider, Sailplane and ultralight pilot. I did 82 km distance flight with Hang Glider over 20 years ago, I made 5 hr 15 min duration flight with a Hang Glider 20 years ago, 6hr 15min duration flight with Sailplane 18 years ago, I made 2800 m height gain with a Hang Glider 20 years ago......I am a pilot! Period! I flew with 3 different homebuild Hang Gliders, 2 Para Gliders, 2 motorized hang Gliders..all designed and builded by myself, so I count myself also as an designer. :)

nerobro

Log Member
I can confirm flying a real airplane was a lot easier than flying my little r/c planes. And the lessons from one translate to the other.

There are lots of r/c planes that are on the right scale to carry a person...