Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Which pilot would you be on this mission:

• “Wild Bill” Hopson

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • "Hapless" George Boyle

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

gtae07

Sounds like fun! Seriously, one of the things I plan to do with my glass and (eventually) IFR RV once it’s done is turn off all the fancy stuff on occasion and make a few old-school trips around the southeast. See if I still remember how...

Pops

Log Member
Sounds like fun! Seriously, one of the things I plan to do with my glass and (eventually) IFR RV once it’s done is turn off all the fancy stuff on occasion and make a few old-school trips around the southeast. See if I still remember how...

I love going cross country in areas for the first time with finger on the chart and stop watch. Keeps you busy.

Aerowerx

Uh, I know it has been 20 years since I took lessons, but I seem to remember having to do that (navigate with map and compass and E-6B) as a student pilot.

Is that still a requirement,or have the rules changed?

lr27

If you're flying in the Southeast right now, those skills might be very useful. I understand there's a military exercise going on right now that includes GPS jamming.

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Uh, I know it has been 20 years since I took lessons, but I seem to remember having to do that (navigate with map and compass and E-6B) as a student pilot.

Is that still a requirement,or have the rules changed?
Yes. Regular old navigation is still taught and is in the private pilot knowledge test.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I’ve done Chino CA to Brownsville TX (and back) in a Luscombe 8A with only a map, a compass, and a 13 gallon tank (lots of stops). It was a blast!
Or KOSH to WA state in a CGS Hawk with 10 gallons of fuel and a fuel thirsty Rotax two cycle. I Did not turn on the GPS till the third day when I ran out of section lines. Nor do you need a GPS when you can't climb out of the valley the road follows.

Group Builder