This might be the COOLEST thing I've ever seen

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

inventing_man

If your wondering how it works ,heres How .

Last edited by a moderator:

inventing_man

Dont think ocean liner is the objective in the first vid , The second vid shows how the first vid works. The Sea Glider project (first vid ) is Purely for personal flight with a system thats in the realm of personal parasailing , only Without boat , crew and gas, Just you and the wind , Like sailing, only you fly instead . Its truly remarkable. I rate it right up there with the Wright bro's.
The only other system that comes close to "tethered" personal flight over water is the Jet Lev. This Sea glider will be hands down far less expensive and very quite . Limited only to good winds .

Workhorse

I thought this could work with a high aspect ratio seaplane. Electric, self launchable. It would only need to hop to about 300' and then just sail.

inventing_man

It would be absolutly Awesome Workhorse. I saw a PDF in french all about the science and mathmatics involved. Looking at the Pics in the PDF I kind'a got the Jest of it but dont know French at all so I'm more than likely wrong .

BDD

I've also seen this basic thing as a design published quite awhile ago. That would not have had the "hydrofoil" which I really don't see here (O.K. I didn't watch the second video before writing this) ....maybe more like a streamlined sea anchor to keep him from flying away altogether. I wonder with his limited maneuverability what he does as he approaches a boat. How does he clear it with his "anchor", etc. I have a book of monographs on "Sailing Hydrodynamics Vol. 8" from 1969 by the Los Angeles Chapter of the AIAA (I believe) that has some advanced boat designs including the first published concept of the windsurfer (something like this) and the Sailing Aerohydrofoil by Bernhard Smith. One of these volumes might have shown this concept.

When I was a boy I read about when Ben Franklin was a boy and he pulled himself across a mile wide pond by swimming with a kite. Combine this in the form of a modern high lift "kite" with the 1969 wind surfing concept and you are a long way towards this. The second video was very interesting with the hydrofoil as the 3rd element. people have done this without the anchor/hydrofoil and they do stunts, fly for short hops, etc.

Speaking of ideas that might really go way back.......certainly farther back than what the media ever says about them: In my opionion the "Free wing" people should give more credit to George Spratt in what is published about their work. I seldom see him menioned and he came up with the basic concept (at least much more than the mere foundations or their concept) way back when.......when he was working with the Wright brothers and thinking about easy to control safe to fly airplanes.:whistle:

Last edited:

AZSpyder

I saw a bunch of kite surf things last time I was out in Fort Lauderdail. Just don't see that sort of thing around Tucson for some reason. Wild to watch while enjoying a cold one at a sidewalk bar.

Now it you are afraid of whatever is in the water, especially while trailing a lure there is always this:

Water Jet Pack: Get High with Jetlev! - YouTube

Just found a better one to see what it actually is:

JetLev-Flyer Water Jet Pack Facts - YouTube

Jerry

Last edited:

inventing_man

Yeah Jet lev is cool But its very loud ! The sea glider is quiet and used No gas , you could fly all day in the air as long as the wind held up.

danmoser

YEAH! I love the sea glider!..

Taking kite boarding to the next level by leaving your fin in the water, and flying with the kite..
This is so AWESOME !!

Reminds me of some great ideas in the 1989 book "Sailloons and Fliptackers" by Bernard Smith
way ahead of its time!!