• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

thinning down from 6061 to 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Langlois

hull modification 002_00001.jpg Does any one know if for example something constructed of .050 6061 t4 would be as strong or better if thinning down to .040 2024 t3
The KSI numbers show a much superior strength for 2024
The mono spar I Made a 60 degree triangle for my UL is 6061 T4 .050 it did not have a full third diaphragm it was not even the same thickness for what was ,the 3rd side
I plan to make a new spar . this new spar will be enhanced by a full 3rd Diaphragm . .040 2024 T3 would be 4 lbs lighter.hull modification 041.jpg
I plan to build a new wing even if I still use 6061 T4 it will be much lighter than this one
A new wing with 6061 T4 different air foil 13 half span with a 14 ft spar will only weigh 28 lbs
full span 27 ft Hornier tips as before will 56 lbs uncovered . Saving an additional 4 lbs would be nice.

Last edited:
Back