• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thinking - Very Dangerous!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've decided to go back and review my various spreadsheets for my project and I've stumbled across something that's confusing me.

It may be just the late hour :zzz: , but...

For my various performance calculations, total aircraft drag is obviously an important number. I've been generally using Raymer's methods, from his textbook.

He's defining the drag polar in the conventional fashion:

Cd(total) = Cd0 + Cdi*CL^2

where Cd0 is the parasite drag of the entire airframe and Cdi is the induced drag coefficient.

Then he moves on to pulling total aircraft drag from this, which is where I get confused:

Drag(total) = Cd(total)*q*Sref

where Sref is the reference wing area.

Why are we defining total drag in terms of the wing area only? Shouldn't the total drag equation look something like this?:

Drag(total) = Cd0*q*Swet+Cdi*CL^2*q*Sref

that is, add the total parasite drag (for the whole wetted area) to the induced drag of the wing alone?

I checked both his text and the example problem (the aerobat) and he's definitely doing it the former way. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Back