• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thinking of starting and ultralight build and looking for advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclark1

I'm thinking of starting a simple ultralight build. I enjoy building projects like this. I have always wanted to fly and hope to get my license sometime. I stumbled across a guy flying an ultralight online and began researching them but I had a few questions so I thought I'd ask them here. Cost is definitely an issue and i am going for a very simple design. If it'snot absolutely necessary I don't plan on spending extra time and money putting it on such as an in closed cockpit. II'm basically wanting a more recreational aircraft for short flights around my land just for fun and the joy of building it.
1. What are the best materials to use? I was thinking of using mostly metal but I'm concerned about weight I want this to be FAR 103 legal. I will be welding all of the joints and had thought about going all aluminum, but i dont have a real tig welder i just have a scratch start tig so aluminum would be a bit more complicated. I would prefer to use mild steel if possible. I was wandering what the minimum gauge tubing I should use would be?
2. What material should I use to cover the wings?
3. Is there any simple plans I could get or purchase that would help me understand the staring and elevator cables and such? I believe I can effectively design the overall frame and wings I'm still just a little confused on all of the flaps and controls. ( I'm still researching)
4.I'm planning on putting putting a 13 hp gas engine from harbor freight or something similar on this craft will this be sufficient?
5. What safety measures should I take. I will not be flying this until I'm %100 sure I'll be safe.
thanks for any help ya'll can give.

Back