• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Things you see from the road.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derswede

As I drive around for my job, I tend to look for old airports, small private strips, airplanes on old farms, etc. Was doing so today, out in the countryside east of Charlotte, NC and saw what looked to be a J-3 clone sitting out in a field. Quite weather worn, some fabric torn, just the magnet to get me to pull up the driveway in the 28' long Penske rental truck I was in. Owner was in the back yard, I waved and asked if I could ask a question about the plane. He grinned, wandered over, and we made introductions. I mentioned that I could not pass up taking a look at any plane sitting out in a field like his. Turned out it was an N3 Pup, full VW, which he had been flying as a fat ultralight off of his farm. Think he said that he had gone through several, buying up abandoned projects, flying it for a couple of years, then selling it and getting another. We chatted for awhile, kmew a lot of the same folks, he told me that the N3 was not for sale, but if he ever passed, come by " and my wife will pay you a $1000 to haul it off!" Told him I'd keep an eye out, just in case, he got a laugh out of it. Don't know if I could fit in an N3 at all, would have to convert to single seat. Much smaller than I had thought.

Any ny of you see such? Got one guy rebuilding an Ercoupe....fuse is in his front yard, wings being covered in the living room. He told me that when he started the project, several local police came by to ask if anyone was injured in the crash in his front yard.. Last laugh will be his, it is 98 pct complete now. Keeps threatening to take off for first flight off the road those cops patrol..!

Derswede

Back