• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Theoretical question (aspect ratio)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman100

Well known formula for induced drag coeffic is Cdi=CL^2/(AR*PI*e).
Formula for AR is AR=b^2/A (b-span, A-wing area).

What confuses me, is that these formulas (especially the latter) give same results for, what I consider as aerodynamic different cases.

Picture will help:
123.jpg
All tree cases have the same wing area and the same chord wing. Actually all tree wings have the same half wing span. My first thinking was that these tree wings are aerodynamically equivalent. (I am talking about wings here only, parasite drag, interference and other are ignored). But, according to formula all tree wings have different AR (because of different span), and thus different induced drags. Is it possible that adding body with same wing geometry can lower induced drag?

My second thought is that it is possible. Putting any body between wing halves would take some load on itself (the wing pressure propagates under fuselage) so I guess that would be the reason for lower wing load thus decreasing induced drag. What do you think?

Back