• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The World's Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelmann

Hello everyone!

In case you haven't read my introduction my name is Kelly Mann.
I am a coop at NASA Johnson in Houston TX, and I am currently putting together a plan to fly around the world.

In my introduction I mentioned that I was planning a flight around the world with some interesting aspects.

I will explain what those are here:

There are two separate parts of this project.

The first is to build the plane that I will fly around the world from a kit. I want to do more than just build it though. I plan on making the most thorough and detailed construction blogs I possibly can. This will include more than the tricky things I find in the build. It will also included some of my engineering knowledge in the blog, explaining why certain things in the kit were made that way and why what ever else I think is interesting.

The second part of this project is to take this airplane that I built and fly it around the world with a friend of mine.
The trip will last a little under a year. This flight will be more than just a flight around the world though. My videographer and I will put together a weekly video on my website during the flight. These videos will show the journey in a condensed form so that people all around the world can see the adventure from our eyes. I also plan on including an interactive forum where website members can ask me questions during the flight and have a location on the site where people can suggest places to visit. At the end of the flight my videographer plans on putting together a documentary of the trip to show at film festivals. The main idea for this project is to take as much of the world as I can through the internet on this journey with me.

So my first question to you all is what kit would you recommend I use on this trip? Right now I am leaning towards the Glasair Sportsman.
Here are my flight requirements:
Good visibility of the ground - this is a big one
Ability to fly low and slow to check out interesting things on the ground
Enough capacity for 2 people, cargo, and fuel to reach 2200 Nautical Miles
Decent cruise speeds
Decent fuel efficiency

Let me know what you think of my plane choice and project!

Kelly

Back